Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Pump Help!!!!!!!!

Default Water Pump Help!!!!!!!!

I just received a new water pump. But there is no pulleys on the waterpump shaft. I tryed to get the Pulley off of the old pump. But I can't even press them off ( took it to three machine shops no luck). Should the new pump have came with a pulley attached? We received this truck without much knowledge of its parts history. So I'm worried that maybe the people that had it before. Welded the Pulley onto the shaft! Any info would be a help

You have stumbled on the single best reason to swap in a V8 engine. the water pump and pulley setup is the worst known to man and there is no good answer for it.

::Rant On:: There are those here that say they will sell you a pump with a pulley because they have made some sort of tool to press off the old pulley but I would refuse to buy from them because they refuse to share the secret of it for their own profit which to me, defeats the purpose of having The M715 Zone. ::Rant Off::
    -What We Have, We Hold-

when my water pump took a dump, i was about two shakes away from an engine tranny swap...one out fit wanted close to $200 for a pump without a pulley and a "Vendor" wanted $45 to press a pulley on and off, less feight back and forth....so we woulda been lookin at close to $300 for the repair. then a nice fella over at the full sized jeep forum sold me a really nice used one for $40 with a pulley already on it. if anything else goes wrong with the 230 its history

I have been writting this for years, but my machine shop guy finally told me Tuesday to bring one of my old water pumps by and he would take it apart, rebuild it and then put it all back together including the pulley. I let him know that I didn't need it, that I was just seeing if he could do it and for what cost. I explained the short supply and that it could turn into a 2 or 3 per month business for him. I told him $50-$70 was as high as he could go for a finished product. He said he would tear into it and see if they can justify the time and actually make money on it. I should here from him in a week or so.

By the way, his company rebuilds oilfield engines and pumps. They know what they are doing and do good work. I will keep updates coming as I find stuff out.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Will be anxious to see what happens.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

i can remove the old pulley and install it on your new water pump correctly. contact me if you still need help.
    bob
    Last edited by Hammer; August 27th, 2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: removed phone number

Tim, any word from your guy with the wp pulley removal and install? I need to have mine replaced.
    Where are you located Bob?

Nothing from my guy yet. His shop does oil field natural gas engines as their business. Business is good for them right now and they really can't spare the time or man power to mess with this. They will get to it though.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Had a machine shop in D.C. do one for me the pully broke trying to get it off. There should be a way to mount a civy pully to the pump shaft.

The civvy pump is all different...the civvy pulley is a stamped steel affair that bolts to the pump like many other civvy pumps in other applications. It is not pressed on like ours and has no provision to be pressed...I have one of each and was hoping when I got the civvy one that I could change out to the lighter and less bulky civvy one....no way to do it.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!