Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Cat 3116 engine swap into blue

I am hoping it goes as smoothly as I am picturing it in my mind. Another potential quirk is going to be how high is too high to mount the engine. I am hoping that the four corner mount on the cat will allow me to fabricate mounts on the top of the frame rails. Thus making it as strong as it can be. If it won't clear the hood like this then the frame will have to be boxed and the mounts moved lower. I am planning to fab the mounts from .250 plate steel with three gussets opposing the mount at each corner splayed. Combine that with rubber feet ( that I have not found yet) and it should make it a little nicer to drive and not shake the truck to bits. Another thing that I have yet to consider is sound and heat dampening the cab as much as possible. Got to figure out a way to get my doors to seal up a little better than they do as well. Big gap around the top of the window/soft top. may go in and flange the inside of the soft top frame and use a bulb type seal there to help this out. That way when the top is removed so is the flange and no harm no foul. Snakeater
    COWBELL, you need more of it

I am getting some hard measurements from the motor tomorrow. Everything seems doable except length. This is the main concern. I know that I am going to have to cut the firewall, but to what extent. More than likely I will have to move the transfer case back a little as well. We will see. None of these things make it a no-go for me. At best I am going to end up with about 20 inches of motor in the cab with me. I will deal with this as it comes. If a doghouse needs to be fabricated to contain the beast then so be it. It is still a go. snakeater

here is a pic of a c-7 cat. in a ford f-350. If it will fit in there it will fit in an m-715.

In the picture you can see that it clearly has a cut firewall to get it in there. The c-7 and 3116 are the same dimensions with the exception of width, the c-7 is wider. Thus making it a tighter fit. Clearly possible. Snakeater

But was that a 4x4? Remember you have to clear the front pumpkin including flex.

I'm pretty sure it was a 4x4. can't seem to find an article or writup with the pic, but if memory serves it was. Snakeater

Hey, go for it. As long as you aren't opposed to surgery, then it'll fit. Height is going to be an issue, but to what degree, I'm not certain. You will probably want about a 2" body lift anyways, and that just might sneak it under the hood.

Might I recommend finding an old rusty J10, and design your fitup and doghouse on it, rather than just slicing into the M-truck. Might make for a better end result.

I'm stoked about the swap, it is surely one for the books, and will certainly be unique.

My spare 542 has a parking brake in the back. The one in my truck does not but I have one on my GM M211 trans case

Quote Originally Posted by jeepcj View Post
    My spare 542 has a parking brake in the back. The one in my truck does not but I have one on my GM M211 trans case
    Yeah, I pulled the brake off mine for fitup, and haven't decided whether or not I am going to re-install it. Seriously considering just using a mechanical disc on the T-case output.

Will decide, once I get everything mounted permanently, and can see how well the brackets will fit.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Just curious, I know that standard practice for meduim and heavy trucks with automatics for years was not to have a "park" position. Was it because of weight?

I know you aren't supposed to rely on park anyway to hold a vehicle, and should apply the handbrake, but I never understood the omission of that. I also recall early automatics in most passenger cars also did not have a park position until the early to mid 60's or so. I figured that back then, it was just because they hadn't come up with the idea yet or it was too expensive.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Oh, in looking at the F-350, I see a really small fan and radiator. Wonder how that thing stays cool?

The M35A3's had to open up the hood and front grille to fit the proper radiator in them for the CAT engine. So much so, they had to move the headlights and widen the front sheetmetal. Will that be a problem?
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™