Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: elohim1 : Mounting a Chevy BB question ?

Default elohim1 : Mounting a Chevy BB question ?

Mounting a Chevy BB question ?
    Post by elohim1 on Aug 3, 2006, 7:57pm

I am aware of using plates like Spicer gear made to adapt to the stock motor mounts.

Is there a better way?

I am using the 502/502 engine.

If you have pics please post them.

Chris

Default robertcowan :

Re: Mounting a Chevy BB question ?
    Post by robertcowan on Aug 3, 2006, 8:29pm

chris, you can mount it like the drag guys do. 4 points. you can make an alum. or steel engine plare for the bellhousing area and same with front of engine. this way its totally captivated . then use poly mounts to chassis. you can pull the trans and engine stays put too.

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Aug 3, 2006, 9:06pm

you can make some new mounts.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Aug 4, 2006, 8:03am

Some members have mounted BBC engines in the trucks with 66-71 Chevy truck motor mounts. They look just like the stock 230 mounts and fit right into the frame horns. You will have to dimple your passenger side firewall a little to clear the valve cover though.

I am not all that positive on the years given above. I know for a fact that 1966 Chevy trucks had that style. The member I am thinking about BS isn't around anymore and I think he said his were for a vehicle in the early 70's. So, go to the parts store and have them pull up pictures of the mount before you buy it. It will be a rubber block with the triangle 3 bolt plate to the block and the threaded stud to go in the frame horn.

I used the "Spicer plate" on my big block because I didn't want to mess with changing the short shaft between the transmission and t-case. I made the plates as big as I could, left the stock 230 mounts in the frame and then set the engine on top of them. Once I had the short shaft hooked up and the transmission mount made. I just marked where on the plates the holes needed to be. I picked up the engine a few inches, removed the plates, drilled the holes, taped them and then put them back on the engine to bolt everything up. I went back after I got it running and driving and was happy with it to remove the plates and cut off the excess.

Like everything else with these trucks. You will find about 10 different people who did the same basic thing 10 different ways. I personally like the "cut off the frame horns, make arms that come off the engine motor mount pads, drill holes in the top of the frame and bolt it in with a rubber bushing between." I had to do my swap over one weekend though and didn't have the time to make all that work. Find a way that works best for you and do it. Remember, short shaft, valve cover clearance and fan clearance for the radiator all are affected by how far forward or rearward you mount the engine.

Default 40grit :

Post by 40grit on Aug 7, 2006, 9:15am

Chris,
    If you don't have any mounts, here's the transdapt version, I modified them to make them more like the AA versions with a gusset plate... they are welded to bare frame, i'm planning on tieing them to the shock mounts on the outside of frame for more structural suppport...

Default elohim1 :

Post by elohim1 on Aug 7, 2006, 7:20pm

Quote:
    Chris,
    If you don't have any mounts, here's the transdapt version, I modified them to make them more like the AA versions with a gusset plate... they are welded to bare frame, i'm planning on tieing them to the shock mounts on the outside of frame for more structural suppport...

Thanks for the info. fellows. I found the transdapt web site,
    Which ones did you use 40 Grit ?

Who is AA

I would like to look at their web site.

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on Aug 7, 2006, 7:27pm

Quote:
    Thanks for the info. fellows. I found the transdapt web site, But who is AA

I would like to look at their web site.

Advance Adapters.

https://eshop.advanceadapters.com/co...CEA975?categor y_id=1157&czuid=1154996822858
    Their website sucks. As does their catalog. Phone support is pretty good most days.

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Aug 7, 2006, 7:39pm

Their catalog ROCKS!

it's just a little confusing at first.

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on Aug 7, 2006, 8:47pm

Quote:
    Their catalog ROCKS!

it's just a little confusing at first.

if all you need is part numbers, or to cross reference application to part numbers then yes I'm POSITIVE it rocks.

but if you need to SEE what is included or what parts LOOK like, then it sucks... Or maybe they've redone it since I last looked.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Aug 7, 2006, 9:43pm

somebody needs welding classes!!!!!!!!