Thread: beast : M715 in Vietnam

Default beast : M715 in Vietnam

M715 in Vietnam
    Post by beast on Oct 1, 2006, 10:32am

I was seaching around today for some base pics and came across these pics of a M715 used by the Air Force as base security with an M60 on a pedestal mount.

"A USAF Security Alert Team (SAT) on duty at the off-base bomb dump (ASP) at DaNang Air Base in 1972. The vehicle is the M-715 Weapons Carrier, used when more capacity was needed than could be provided by the M-151 "Jeeps." This has an M-60 Machinegun mounted on a pedestal mount."
    http://home.att.net/~superspy/photos.htm

Default brute4c :

Re: M715 in Vietnam
    Post by brute4c on Oct 1, 2006, 2:19pm

Wow...COOL!!!!!

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Oct 2, 2006, 7:13am

The pic my step father had of a M715 was taken at DaNang. He was also in the Air Force. It looked pretty much like that only in color and it had a weird sheetmetal top with no back to the cab.

Default beast :

Post by beast on Oct 3, 2006, 7:58am

Quote:
    The pic my step father had of a M715 was taken at DaNang. He was also in the Air Force. It looked pretty much like that only in color and it had a weird sheetmetal top with no back to the cab.

That would be a neat pic to see. I wonder if it was the same truck as pictured here but with a top for the rainy season. The caption states these pics were in 72', when was your stepfathers from?

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Oct 3, 2006, 8:08am

I have his jacket he had made out of a poncho liner while he was over there. It has a nice silk liner with a VietCong Hunting Club patch on one sleeve, The Gunfighters unit patch on the left breast, and a hand embroidered map of South Vietnam with the slogan "when I die I know I will go to heaven because I have spent my time in hell. Vietnam 69-70" From what I can remember of his stories, he was one of the guys in the semi-underground bunkers that loaded the fuses into the bombs prior to them being loaded onto the planes and his stay there was pretty much all at DaNang. He had tons of pics of recovered planes and Hueys and just general BS going on. I didn't really know what all I was looking at back then, now I wish I had paid more attention. I don't see him very often, it's been almost 10 years now, but if I ever do I'll see if I can borrow and scan his pics. He sort of owes me. If I remember, most were black and white but I do remember a few color ones.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Oct 3, 2006, 8:09am

The Art teacher in the class next to me was a Marine in Vietnam. He got to Hue the day before Tet started and finished out his tour at Danang. We were talking about the above picture. He said all the Air Force had when he was there was "that big aluminum Jeep with M60's bolted in the back." It is funny to play the when were you there and what vehicles did they use game with those guys.