Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Not again!!!

I agree Nailhead, I learn from reading other people's posts and answers. We all have pretty much the same truck and it never hurts to listen to other members who may have gone through the same issue before. The more I learn, the more I feel I can help others out, should they need assistance. I promise to keep the thread going until the problem is resolved. I'm on a mission once again. Thanks.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    the only wires coming into the ignitor are the red and black from the ignition switch lead.
    two??????
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Quote Originally Posted by rboltz View Post
    two??????
    I was wondering the same. That connector only has one wire in the center.

Sorry, I meant the wires that are up in the ignitor going to the coil. At any rate, can I take a reading off the coil terminals with the switch on to see if I get 24v? Has anyone ever had to replace the wire from the switch to the ignitor?
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Sorry, I meant the wires that are up in the ignitor going to the coil. At any rate, can I take a reading off the coil terminals with the switch on to see if I get 24v? Has anyone ever had to replace the wire from the switch to the ignitor?
    With the switch "ON", you should read 24 Volts on the left terminal, + of the coil.

Has anyone ever had to replace the wire from the switch to the ignitor?
    JIMMIE M715 had to repair the internal power wire in his distributor, as it was hanging on buy a few strands near the capacitor/ RF filter located in the connector receptacle.

If it was me, I would just remove the ignitor from the engine, and give it a complete tear down for good inspection.
    Much, much easier to pull the ingitor and take to the work bench.

I can't remember reading whether you replaced the cap and rotor during a recent tune up.

No Dan, I have not replaced the cap and rotor. The wire leading from the ignition switch through the firewall and to the ignitor look good as far as I can see. If that wire was to need replacing, what type of wire would it be replaced with? Or does a military parts supply house carry things like that?
    My thoughts here, are to put in the new coil and see if this was the problem. If the wire going into the capacitor receptacle was bad/frayed, wouldn't that effect the 24v reading you should be getting at the coil?

My thoughts here, are to put in the new coil and see if this was the problem. If the wire going into the capacitor receptacle was bad/frayed, wouldn't that effect the 24v reading you should be getting at the coil?
    It might. Just be sure to wiggle the wire around while testing if you can, since your trouble came and went.

No special wire needed inside, just match the gauge.

[QUOTE=jeepdan;264164]It might. Just be sure to wiggle the wire around while testing if you can, since your trouble came and went.

Very very good idea Dan. I'll get somebody to help me there. One reading, the other wiggling the wire from the firewall to the distributor. I feel the problem has to be somewhere in the wire, coil, cap or rotor. Do you feel it would be wise to just order a new cap and rotor at this point, or work my way through the other troubleshooting I'm going to do?

I would zdo some trouble shooting first. Cap and rotor sould work or not work, I would think. Hope we get this fixed quickly!