Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Power Steering

Default Power Steering

I am certain someone has done this before. I searched FAQ and didn't find anything. How does one add power steering to the M715? A guy in Omaha said he used the pump and gear box out of a Jeep J10. That seems a little light to me. Before I get chastised for being a weenie arm, the truck has 39" x 19.5 Mickey Thompson tires. Some help turning in the grocery store parking lot would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by JDCustis View Post
    I am certain someone has done this before. I searched FAQ and didn't find anything. How does one add power steering to the M715? A guy in Omaha said he used the pump and gear box out of a Jeep J10. That seems a little light to me. Before I get chastised for being a weenie arm, the truck has 39" x 19.5 Mickey Thompson tires. Some help turning in the grocery store parking lot would be nice
    Membership to a local gym will do wonders for the armstrong powersteering system on it.

The J-series of P/S boxes is what a lot of guys use when they convert over. The box will bolt right on using the three stock steering box bolt holes. For more strength you can drill a 4th hole and sleeve it. P/S box has 4 bolts, manual steering box has 3. For rock crawling and/or really big tires guys run a ram assist too but you shouldn't need too unless you are one of those guys.

I got my box off a 84 Grand Wagoneer, bolted right up. I did have to divot the crossmember just a little for it too fit but usually you don't. I just heated it up a little and gave it a few whacks and it was done, took about five minutes. You will have to change your shaft some where it bolts up to the box. I used Borgeson u-joints and a collapsible shaft for mine. Just cut the stock shaft off not too far from where it exits the column in the engine bay.
    Last edited by glenn; April 28th, 2011 at 07:36 PM.

power steering box and pump off of most any fill size gm car will work. it's the same Saginaw box. pitman arm will have to be changed from gm to a full size jeep and will bolt on, spline count is the same. some ford bronco full size trucks use the same pitman arm, i can't remember the year spread however. i would imagine the search function will tell you more than you want to know. there have been multiple threads about adding power steering.....al

If you really need PS, there are offers for vintage cars to install a electric PS. If it fails the steering will be exactly the same as prior to the conversion. But it isn't cheap!!

http://www.ezpowersteering.nl/index.php?p=2

http://www.ezpowersteering.nl/index.php?p=2&lang=us works better for most people on here - English!

That seems like a nice idea, but it has a lot of stuff I would say isn't needed, such as speed-sensitive assist (more wires) and crap like that...

--Randy

I didn't need to modify the shaft at all when using a box from a 77 Waggoneer. The pitman arm is the issue. Mine from the waggy is a little shorter than stock so I lost some turning radius. It turns easy though.

Default Thanks

Thank you for the suggestions. I did try to search the FAQ area. Any Idea where or how else to search the site?

If you right click on the search link at the top of the page, in the menu across the top of the first post, you can open the search in a new window.
    There you will be able to put in a key word or words and what boards you want to search and even if you are looking for posts by a specific user, you can enter their user name...and theres a few other options.
    You will find a load of stuff under power steering.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Default Power steering conversion question

The 4 bolt mounting Saginaw P.S. gear box I bought doesn't fit my 67 M715. I cut the support bar out of the way and now find that the lenght of the gearbox hits the front frame crossmember. Before i start doing something crazy, i thought it best to ask you all for a solution. I've called around and get the same answer Saginaw p.S. boxes are all the same length.

Are you able to post a picture or two of the gear, and where it is hitting?

I dont recall any fit issues on mine. I think that I used a gear from an early 70's wagoneer
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15