Thread: Stock hp and torque ???

Default Stock hp and torque ???

Does anyone know what the stock hp and torque is in this m715 6cyl engine ? also what was the thinking behind this under powered engine were they trying to get the best mpg gas millage as they could ?? or were they trying to get the best torque from this cu inch engine ??? or were they trying to get a built proof engine that just would not break or go bad ?? I just don't understand why they went with such a horrible engine ??? I think in 74 or 75 they paid a lot of money to put in a German turbo 6cyl engine into several thousand m715s so they must have thought it was under powered as well . my m715 has 17,000 original miles on it and it has no power it sucks . does anyone think their m715 has enough power ??? I was told where the big issue is the valves and cam but I don't know . so does anyone know if this is true ?? or where do you think the biggest problem is with this engine is ???

Sounds like your engine is firing on 4 out of 6 cylinders. I have no issues with mine. I keep right up with traffic (no expressway use) and have had 3000 lbs of bagged gravel in the back. I've pulled Chinese Honeysuckle shrubs out of the ground with it too.

I installed front lock-out hubs and it made a huge difference in how it drives.

I have heard other people say they are under powered but what are people expecting 1950-60's technology to be able to do?
    Thanks for all the help!

You have to remember that in 1965 when these trucks were in development that Jeep did not have a V8 motor that they produced. Jeep vehicles during that time period were using Buick V8's. With not being able to militarize the Buick motor in house that left them to use one of their motors that they already had, which was the 230 Tornado. Also during the development time, Big V8's were just starting to gain in popularity. And the 50's era Dodge that the M715 was replacing also was an inline 6. The M715's main problem was the timing that it was brought into service. By the late 60's young GI's were coming out of the muscle car era and use to the power of a V8 and when placed in these trucks that only had the inline 6, tended to push them past their intended RPM range which lead to all the motor failures. And also why they changed production to add a governor to restrict them from being over revved.

I have no problems driving mine around at all and it will push past 60 mph when needed. But it tends to cruise nice and easy at 55 mph. The 230 is not really an underpowered motor and will push the M715 around just fine, it's just not going to power off the line like a V8 would. It may take you a little longer to get to 55mph, but it will get there.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Yep, my truck in stock form does pretty well when it is tuned properly. Crappy old fuel and ethanol reduces performance. But I can do 55-60 easily.

But I still prefer a V8.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    You have to remember that in 1965...
    By the late 60's young GI's were coming out of the muscle car era and use to the power of a V8 and when placed in these trucks that only had the inline 6, tended to push them past their intended RPM range which lead to all the motor failures. And also why they changed production to add a governor to restrict them from being over revved...
    but it will get there.
    I resemble that remark!!!! A picture of my truck in Germany. Yes, that speedometer had wrapped all the way around to where you see it.

"Guilty As Charged..."
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is what you asked for:

Horsepower (Brake) 132.5 @ 4,000 rpm.
    Torque (Max. @ 2000 rpm.) 198 lb-ft.

I live at 5200' and am quite satisfied with my 230. It's no LT1, but it'll run rings around a stock M37 & its flathead. It reminds me of an old FJ-40: adequate power, adequate torque, but no more.

50 mph cruise (55 is Vne), ethanol-free fuel, Amsoil 15-40 are its living conditions, and it works great. I like it.

When you get up to tree line is when the 230 is most impressive.
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

50 mph cruise (55 is Vne)

Nailhead, what do you use for Vr?
    Thanks for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by kyken View Post
    50 mph cruise (55 is Vne)

Nailhead, what do you use for Vr?
    No wings, too heavy!

However... I did jump an M-725 one time in Utah. Driving through the desert, there are occasional dips in the road (read run-off streams). When the ambo came up it went airborne. The front Dana had a different camber after that (and no more oil in it).