Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: info I need to know before ordering axle gears

Default info I need to know before ordering axle gears

I called Randy Ring and Pinion today to order 4.56 axle gears.
    I also called Reider Racing, but they are closed for inventory this week.

Anyway, the guy at Randy Ring kept trying to tell me that I owned a mini jeep rather then a m715, before admitting that he did not know anything about the 715.

What information do I need before I order? The guy on the phone said that I would need to take my axle covers off and give him stock numbers or some such.

I know I have Dana 60 in front and Dana 70 in the rear. The guy kept saying that the Dana 70 was "difficult". What do I need to have on hand when I call back to try again? What are the stock specs for my axle gears?

Zach

Tell them you have a 23 spline Dana 70 rear axle and you are looking for a Detroit no-spin, part number: DET225S-14

For the front, I dont know a Detroit number...it is a 30 spline Dana 60 differential. There should be a Power Lock and a Lock Rite for the front...the lock rite is close the the detroit from what others have posted.

Jester Guest

I am only a few miles away from Randy's office/shop here in WA. If they need to "see" a truck, let me know.

There are pople at both places who know what the M715 is...need to get someone else on the horn...lots of members have ordered from both without incident.

I just got off the phone with Randy Ring again, and the guy wanted to know the ring gear number for the rear diff. Anyone got that?

Also, the price quoted for the ring, pinion and bearings for both axles was a shade over $1700. Is that what I should be expecting. Thats just about what I paid for the truck, and just under twice what I expected to pay to regear the axles. Parts only, no labor (thats my job...)

Zach

Bump.

Still facing sticker shock. I figured this project would cost about $1000. *gah*

Anyone know the rear ring gear number? Or know what manual it would be in? I'm guessing the 34, but I'd rather not sift through if it is not there.

Zach

According to the -34P parts manual:

GEAR SET, RING AND PINION
    FSN 2530-917-0835
    Dana Corporation part number: 5704434

Without opening an axle, I cant do better...

Quote Originally Posted by vacca rabite View Post
    I just got off the phone with Randy Ring again, and the guy wanted to know the ring gear number for the rear diff. Anyone got that?

Also, the price quoted for the ring, pinion and bearings for both axles was a shade over $1700. Is that what I should be expecting. Thats just about what I paid for the truck, and just under twice what I expected to pay to regear the axles. Parts only, no labor (thats my job...)

Zach
    Holy cow! I am going to do some research on this and see if I can get you those parts cheaper, that seems to be WAY too much.

Does that include lockers or just gears and bearings?
    1967 M715 w/ 454 and TH400

Just rings, gears and bearings. The price shelved the project for me, and I was looking forward to it. If you can do better, PLEASE let me know.

Zach

I have friends at the randys here in washington people I used to work for went there , I will see if i can get them any cheaper as well