Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Custom axle shafts...

Hammer, look me up when you get to the disc side of you're Rockwells. I'm working on that now and think I'll be able to do a bit better than the typical $1000-1100 for the disc kits.
    Big Blocks RULE!

Concerning Bill, well, I think you can run almost any combination for a while before something happens.
    He never told me if he has broken a lot of part or not either. Driving style has to be taken into account when you talk about parts breakage. I have a '74 CJ5 with 16/35" Boggers, and my stroker AMC 401 motor. I have broken a lot of parts (especially rear axle stuff). But I have NEVER had one single issue with the puny dana 30 in front. Go figure. And I am not light on the go pedal (wonder where I get my nickname from?).

Spicer, hmm, what are you talking about for discs on them? Those huge drums are one the major drawbacks for me because they are nasty, and immediately limit my rim/tire choices. Take them off and you can run almost any rim/tire combo you want as clearing that hub is easy.

Yep, that's what I'm working on at the moment. Still trying to lesson the cost of the rotor. I'm working on one side at the moment for a steer axle and will have the rotor back tomorrow. Oh, presently 'hubs out' is what I'm working on. I've got an idea for a 'hubs in' brake but won't get to that for some time. Once I finish this Rockwell design I plan to see what I can do for a stock 715 axle. I've already found the main part and just need time to work on it. It's ALLLLLL good! I'll keep you posted!

Oh, I'm hoping that with a 16.5" wheel I can get around 6-7" backspacing.
    Big Blocks RULE!

Those 44"x 66" Goodyears for those ZF's are expensive, huh Barry?
    Big Blocks RULE!

Actually for discs I think I will go with pinion brakes. Very simple, and you only need a small rotor when you factor in the gearing.
    That and the caliper adaptor is EASY. Simple flat metal.

Spicer, I have a friend that has 7 of those 44 X 66 tires. He said that I can use them anytime I want to. It's the wheels that are going to kill me unless I build my own. M1028
    If your not breakin\' something - Your NOT makin\' enough torque !!

Hammer, for off road/beater...pinion is the ONLY way to go! Mine will see plenty of street driving and I wanted to have at least the front with discs at the wheels. It's looking like I'll come in several hundred dollars under a usa6x6 or chuck's trucks price. I do have a lot of time invested to get here, so the *NEXT* possible set would come much easier. I've got a different axle to do next. I think it will be popular.
    Barry, would you even fit in the mud pit? You may want to take a glance at the Boyce web site as I remember them having wheels for those big gummies.
    Big Blocks RULE!

Spicer. In good ol' Pa. you must have a service brake at each wheel for State Inspection. That eliminates pinion brakes for street use in Pa. I'm running pinion brakes on my newest project, But as you well know, that is strictly off-road. The only problem with pinion brakes occurs when you are not running a locker or welded rear. Under a hard braking situation, if one wheel is on a hard surface while the other wheel is on a slippery surface. If you are hard on the brake , and one wheel has alot less braking traction then the other one, the differential will then take over and let the wheel with the least traction turn backwards. While this is a very unlikely situation, it can happen. M1028
    If your not breakin\' something - Your NOT makin\' enough torque !!

Default 100 AMP RECTIFIER NEEDED

Yup, I know about the differential thing. I do plan to weld the rear and detroit the front. Today sucks, I just saw that USA6x6 has a recently released 1 ton kit that is VERY affordable priced. The 2 and 2.5 ton kits, and the one I'd been working on were, are, and would end up being twice the other kits cost. I think I'll cut my losses here, which would actually even out had I bought a big kit and move to other aspects of the project.
    Big Blocks RULE!