Thread: A/C Compressors

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tailgate kit??

My 396 came from a car with A/C. Therefore, I have the brackets and such to run the long Frigidair compressor. My condensor and evaporator will be from a '90 Mazda. Does anyone see trouble on my horizon with that?

I have the small Nippondenso compressor for the rest of the A/C setup. Building mounts is not a problem. I was just considering the replacement cost. Frigidair=cheap, every junk yard has hundreds vs. Nippondenso= money since the clutch and front seal seem to go on those pretty regular and you often can't find a kit or parts for less than $100 or more.

I also want to add an on board air system. I have several York compressors. I remember from previous post on the old Zone that they are the best for this because of their internal oil capacity. Doesn't the Frigidair have internal oil also?

My choices are Frigidair for the a/c and York for the on board air. This means only one set of mounts to dream up and probably cheaper cost in the long run. The down side is that they both take up a lot of space and are ugly.

Another option is the Frigidair for the onboard air using the stock mounts with the Nippondenso for the a/c system. Again only one set of mounts to make. I just don't know about the long term life of the Frigidair.

My third option is to use the Nippondenso for the a/c with the York for the onboard air. Besides being "what everybody else does", I am having trouble making sense of this one. It would also require me to make two sets of mounts that have to work together. Again not a problem but, why make things difficult.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Tim, I don't know this to be true but I have been told that the long G.M. comp.(a-6) are prone to leak with 134a if thatis what you are gonna run . Also, I am planning to run the '70s dodge style compressor for air pumping. It is a two stage v-style with self contained oil sump.

Thanks for the heads up about the 134a leak. That kind of solves that dilema. Now, how do they hold up in onboard air systems?

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

Drew is running one for his truck...used a preoiler on the intake side with a filter just ahead of it to keep the crud out...then sweated coper lins all the way back to a tank monted in the bed....
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Cool, that is still only one set of mounts to mess with. Thanks.

Default I'm sad now that Tom is gone.

I remember that Beafire put up a bunch of information about the onbard air stuff last summer. Does anyone still have those links and part information? Thanks.

Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun