Thread: M715 Fan Shroud

Default M715 Fan Shroud

Hello all,
    I'm new to this forum and I know I can get some good answers to my questions here. I'm helping out a friend with a 1968 M715 with a stock overhead cam 6. The engine was rebuilt about 6 years ago and runs perfect. The problem is and always was that in the summer it runs a bit too hot at idle and at parade speed. He has the stock 3 row radiator that was re-cored, 160 deg. thermostat, 4 blade fan and no shroud. The plan is to install a conventional steel 6 blade fan from Summit Racing and install a shroud. The problem is where to find a shroud. We know there is a shroud listed in the M715 parts manual but it seems that there is no such animal. If anyone here has any info on where to get a shroud or what shroud will fit or does the shroud from the civilian Gladiator fit, please pass the info to me. If a universal shroud (also from Summit) is the only way to go we will consider that. If any of you have a shroud installed please send a picture. Many thanks to all of you.
    Paul

Welcome.

Here is a photo of mine viewing the drivers side.

I bought this NOS part from from Memphis Equipment

Holy smokes it's a thing of beauty (your engine bay too). How long ago did you get it? I'll call them in the morning. Thanks!
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by 60 Hotch View Post
    Holy smokes it's a thing of beauty (your engine bay too). How long ago did you get it? I'll call them in the morning. Thanks!
    Paul
    Thanks

About five years ago.

Here's a NOS fan shroud in Greece.

98 Euros.

I have bought from this guy and he's great. I received my parts shipped from Greece in 4 days!

http://www.army-spareparts.com/shop/...arts/cooling-5

Default Fan Shroud from Greece

Heads up. If you look at the photo on the website closely (I didn't), it's cracked. Mine was broken, had a few cracks, and had a chunk loose in the box. As you can see in these photos, I was able to glue it back together with JBWeld, but haven't had time to finish the job. Seller was slow to respond and claimed it was damaged in transit. Given the rarity, I was surprised at the lack of protective packaging. IIRC, It was simply wrapped in cardboard. I gave up on trying to get $$ back.

On a positive note, I have purchased a few seemingly original type "OZCEMET ELEKTROTEKNiK FSN: 2920-358-6960" 24v ignition coils from him off eBay. I have not tested them though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by txleadfoot; March 3rd, 2020 at 04:58 PM.

Sounds like a bad experience. I hate it when that happens.

In that case, I would send a message to the seller when I bought the shroud and request extra packaging (bubble-wrap) "because you have heard some bad stories of fan shrouds being broken upon receipt", or something to that effect.

Because if you really need a stock fan shroud, and nothing else will do, a broken one is better than not having one at all. That's the lens with which I would likely view it. JB Weld to the rescue!

Thanks for the head's up leadFt.

I would check to make sure you don't have some blockage somewhere along the lines. Both my M715 and M725 run at 180-190 for extended times in long summer parades. The M715 does not even have a shroud and the M725 still has it's original one but they both seam to run at the same temps. I have never really heard of anyone having temp problems with these motors unless they are having additional problems with the cooling system.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Thanks for the thoughts but there are no blockages. All of the basics have been checked. This isn’t the only one I’ve heard of that runs hot at idle.

Now the question becomes: “What would be the next step after you spend $170 on a shroud, and the engine still runs hot?”

Hypothetically speaking, of course.