Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft top bows

Default Soft top bows

In case anyone else is in the market for DIY top bows, I traced one of mine. It appears to be OEM, but you get what you pay for.

Excellent! In years to come, when the supply of used bows dries up, that info will be worth gold.

Deep respect for all of You Guys that are good at drafting and math / geometry.

If I traced that, and tried to take measurements....

it would require a brain trust of translators and a two hour instructional video to explain the numbers and drawings

Thanks Subybaja.

Perfection.

Serious Respect.
    hostis est intra portas tuas

Aww, shucks! (You didn't see me out in the driveway measuring that curve with a sharpie and a dropcord!)

Any little thing that I can give back...this place has been so helpful to a n00b with a weird old truck.

M715 cab top bow center stub location - 25.25" from windshield, give or take a 1/16th".

Thanks for the layout drawing - very helpful info

I have the side frames and this drawing will certainly come in handy. I'm wondering if anyone has the bow tube material dimensions that I can shop around for. I have a tube bender that should handle this size. I was going to take one of my side frames with the two upright tubes to the Metal Supermarket and let them supply me with the closest size to slip over the frame rail tubes. But if there is a standard ID and OD dimension for the tubes, that would be great information. If not, I'll post what the supplier sells me as the best closest fit.
    I notice on the drawing above that the side bends are not a true 90 degree as I envisioned when I saw my side frame uprights sticking straight up in the air, not bent angled inwards like I would think these bows are bent.

I can measure the OD of the tubing for you. But I can't get the ID for you without taking my top apart.

The frame uprights at the rear corners are meant to lean inward matching the profile of the windshield, not sticking straight up.

Measured the tubing. It's 1.010" OD. Looks to the exact same tubing used on the rear post of the upright frames.
    Last edited by jeepdan; March 26th, 2022 at 04:50 PM.

Yes, my uprights do inddeed lean inward. The outer diameter should suffice, I presume the ID will depend upon what gauge tubing Metal Supermarket can provide. I will take one frame side with me for fit. And, the ID should be just a little over the OD of the uprights for a snug fit and no rattle. And, if I do end up with some slop, presume I can apply some undercoating paint or wrap the upright with a layer of something to increase the OD of the upright and provide a snug fit. I will post what dimensions of tubing I end up with for future use. I do not have my canvas top yet, New Life is backordered until August of this year, so I may bend bows and leave a little extra on the side legs until I get the canvbas and will cut to fit. Although the NOS specs provided above and New Lifes reputation for providing accurate products should make this last step unnecessary.

Check WeeBee Webbing for a top. http://www.odcloth.com/m715.html
    I see that they are 12 weeks out on an order.