Thread: barrman : Hole Saw Use

Default barrman : Hole Saw Use

Hole Saw Use
    Post by barrman on Sept 12, 2006, 1:09pm

I hate to use hole saws. It seems that I always get a nice circle started and then the bit in the middle breaks and the saw chews up all kinds of metal it wasn't supposed to touch. I had to cut several holes in my truck over the last week or two and I tried something different this time. It even worked for me.

I figured out where the hole needed to be and where the middle would be. I took the small bit from the middle out and drilled a hole for it. Then I put the guide bit back in. Then I got out my impact gun and the right size socket to hold the hole saw. I turned the adjustable air valve down all the way and started cutting. My gun on low has just enough power to barely turn the hole saw. The slower speed makes it cut better and makes less heat so my saw will last longer.

Two holes for the 3 lever switch and one for the slave receptacle. All bigger than 1-1/2" and no screw ups. for me that is pretty good. didn't even break the guide bit once either.

Thought this might help somebody.

Default brute4c :

Re: Hole Saw Use
    Post by brute4c on Sept 12, 2006, 1:16pm

Nice tip...I already see how I can use this to improve the "skill" I have with hole saws....THANKS!!

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on Sept 12, 2006, 2:46pm

I use my plasma cutter.

Default kwai :

Post by kwai on Sept 12, 2006, 2:54pm

Get an air drill.

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Sept 12, 2006, 10:30pm

Good idea Tim...similar trick, but I'll hole saw a piece of wood and then c-clamp it where it needs to be. Works pretty sweet if it's something you can get a clamp around.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Sept 13, 2006, 8:25am

I have tried air drills for big stuff like this before. They just never seem to have the torque to start while in contact with the surface. The impact doesn't have that problem.

Doug, I like your block of wood idea. I will remember that one.

Default kaiser715 :

Post by kaiser715 on Sept 13, 2006, 11:51pm

I used to always break the bits. Pre-drill with 1/4 or whatever your pilot bit is, like you say....but change out the pilot bit to a piece of same-sized solid rod, so it'll just center up in the drilled hole and not waller out the sides of it.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Sept 14, 2006, 7:43am

DP, That is a great idea.

I started this thread hoping to help somebody else out and you guys are helping me out. Cool.

Default bigbabyroger :

Post by bigbabyroger on Sept 17, 2006, 6:49pm

All are good ideas, but if you happened to know a good electrician you could probably borrow a knock-out set, which normally come in standard sizes. The hole will be perfect every time but you have to draw cross hairs to line the cutter up on.