Thread: no gas

Default no gas

I have a rebuilt fuel pump now, and still the same problem. My fuel filter goes dry after 2 miles of driving. From a cold start my fuel filter is half full. After 2 miles my engine temp is about 180 degrees. that doesn't seem hot enough for vapor lock. Any Ideas?

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Looks like you're gonna need to get into the tank and fix the pickup. The sock is probably clogged, or the pickup tube rotten.

Here is my fix:

Fuel tank pickup mod/rebuild
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Your symptoms point to two possibilities: Fuel starvation, . .a restriction in the fuel system that will allow SOME fuel through, but not enough to keep up with consumption, .. check for kinks in fuel lines, etc., as well as tank issues. The other possibility is vapor lock. Gasoline will boil at much lower temperatures than water, . depending on the atmospheric pressure, . .as low as 100 degrees, so it is possible well below the 180 degree mark . . .

I would check the routing of the fuel line, make sure it isn't too close to the exhaust or any other heat sources. A quick and well, . .messy, ..way to verify (and temporarily cure) a vapor lock problem if the fuel pump is suspect, . it to take a large grapefruit, cut a big X in it, . and then stuff it over the fuel pump. This will keep the fuel pump cool until it cooks all the juice out of the grapefruit. . .trust me, this works. . .

Have you popped off the gas cap to see if there is a vacuum on removal? The vent could be plugged...it happens...

Probably not your problem but easy and cant hurt.

Default no gas

Thanks for the help so far ,but further inspection has revieled high pressure after the pump and can"t pull gas with an 8 inch hose attached to the fuel pump inlet.

check valve on the intake side of the pump, .. try pressurizing the hose with an air compressor, may just be a stuck valve, . . .if that doesn't solve it, .. bad pump rebuild, . occasionally it happens. . .

Default no gas

Thanks for the help. I got it going. The carb was plugged up. Behind the economizer there are 4 small holes that were plugged. I used carb and choke cleaner followed buy air pressure about three times. Its never run better than right now. Now my fuel filter is completely full all the time. Thanks again.

Thanks for letting us know the fix. It will help the next guy.