Thread: asbestosglove : Head Gasket Source

Default asbestosglove : Head Gasket Source

Head Gasket Source
    Post by asbestosglove on Apr 10, 2006, 10:35pm

Best place to buy head gasket for 230 Tornado? Thanks AG in NC

Default xtreme :

Re: Head Gasket Source
    Post by xtreme on Apr 10, 2006, 10:39pm

if its for an M715 it uses the same head gasket as the jeep gladiator.

Default rpgdeity :

Post by rpgdeity on Apr 10, 2006, 11:04pm

This is where I am missing the old zone, I would have just done some research as to the interchangability of items from the civilian 230 to the military 230, but obviously I can't do that. So I have a couple gasket questions, hope somebody can anwser.

I'm going to be pulling the valve cover off, dropping the oil pan, and replacing the single barrel carb intake with a 2 barrel carb intake. So the head gasket is the same as a civilian 230 (I'm assuming that was what was in the Gladiator), what about the oil pan gasket and an intake gasket? What years was the Gladiator made? Any other Jeeps that came with the 230? Hoping I can get a little more info before the guys down at NAPA tell me I don't know what I'm talking about (I've gone in for M-715 parts before and all I get is a blank stare). Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Apr 10, 2006, 11:16pm

i got a N.O.S. military head gasket for sale if you still need one. there very hard to find these days. bob in tn. 1 423 384 8938 or email me bcowanwheels@aol.com

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Apr 10, 2006, 11:24pm

a military tornado 230 engine head gasket is completely different than the civilian 230 head gasket. there not interchangeable positively !!!!!!! there is alot of diference between the 2 engines. i got alot of both of them and i,ve dissmantled alot of each of them critters.
    bob

Default xtreme :

Post by xtreme on Apr 11, 2006, 12:21am

odd, I put a 230 gladiator head gasket on mine.

Default rpgdeity :

Post by rpgdeity on Apr 11, 2006, 12:23am

What about the valve cover gasket? Is it different too?

Default xtreme :

Post by xtreme on Apr 11, 2006, 12:31am

no, its the same...as is the exhaust manifold gasket and the inlet manfold gasket. The water pumps are different.

Default rpgdeity :

Post by rpgdeity on Apr 11, 2006, 12:35am

Alright, thank you. I'll see what NAPA can come up with for me.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Apr 11, 2006, 8:49am

Heres a short breakdown....

The civilian 230 OHC was introduced in late 1962 and was made in production through the 1965 model year. It was installed in the full size Jeeps like the Gladiator and Wagoneer and also in the somewhat smaller Universal series pickups and wagons. I dont know of other models that had it off hand, though there may be some. I have one from a Universal series pickup...

The military 230 OHC engine was produced from 1967 to 1969 in the G890 series trucks only. The M715/M724/M725/M726 trucks make up the G890 series.

The timing cover forward to the fan hub is different and non interchangeable between the military and civilian trucks....the timing chain is the same...the fan is the same....the rest isnt.

Everything above the head gasket through the valve cover is the same, including intake and exhaust gaskets (whether a 1 or 2 barrel) with the only exceptions being that the head casting itself is wider at the front on the mil engines and the timing cover on the mil engine has 2 bolts that secure to the front of the head at the top. On the civvy engines, one of these bolts is not to the head but to a plate that bolts between the head and the timing cover...so civvy motors dont have the drivers side upper bolt hole drilled and tapped.

The blocks do not interchange due to the motor mount locations...the mil engine has them on bosses on the side of the block...the civvy engine has them at the lower outside edges of that plate I mentioned that bolts between the timing cover and the block/head....which puts them far forward of the mil mounts.
    The cranks have differences in bearings, pilot bushing hole diameter, a water excluder seal at the front, and maybe more stuff. The rods have different bearings as well. The rear main seal can be the same between the 2 engines or the mil engine may have one that is visually larger by 2-3 times...dont understaand...just that this has been shown to be true.

The oil pump and the distributor and their drive gear, the worm gear on the crank are interchangeable as long as the difference in voltage is taken into account, obviously.

The oil pans are interchangeable.

Pistons are interchangeable but there are 2 different compression ratios to be found...ALL mil engines have 7.5:1 from the factory. The civvy engines were made in both 7.5:1 and 8.5:1 versions. I have an old civvy manual that says that all the civvy 1 barrels were the lower ratio and the 2 barrels could be either lower or higher...I bought a 230 engine for the 2 barrel, civvy ignition, and other spare parts...it was 8.5:1...
    The difference is the dome height...the lower compression ratio is visible flatter than the higher one...
    There is no valve clearance issue if one puts the higher compression pistons in the lower compression motors...nothing in the head or head gasket area change in the civvy motors between the 2 ratios.

The intakes interchange but the mil style has 2 threaded ports on the drivers side...one at the front for the coolant bypass hose, and one to the rear for the temp sending unit...civvy intakes only have the rear port. This can be overcome by simply installing a T fiting into the civvy manifolds rear port and installing the sending unit to one side and a hose barb to the other.

Starters interchange, voltage differs of course...

There are 2 possible fuel pumps....mil engines have the fuel pump with a vacuum pump on top made together in one unit...some civvy engines use the same pump...I have one from the engine I bought...others have just the fuel pump portion without the vacuum part. They do interchange if one isnt worried about vacuum for wipers...i.e. swap to electric wipers.

I think that covers it pretty well....if I missed anything, just ask.
    Last edited by brute4c; December 16th, 2009 at 12:42 PM.