Thread: what fuel is safe?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default what fuel is safe?

I was watching a video of a fella trying to get a barn find M715 to run and he mentioned that the E10 gas will destroy lots of the inner seals of the older engines. So what kind of fuel is safe? I know these engines were designed to run on leaded gas, which is history, but I haven't seen how to rectify that. So what do you use for fuel and why?

Quote Originally Posted by grymsr View Post
    I was watching a video of a fella trying to get a barn find M715 to run and he mentioned that the E10 gas will destroy lots of the inner seals of the older engines. So what kind of fuel is safe? I know these engines were designed to run on leaded gas, which is history, but I haven't seen how to rectify that. So what do you use for fuel and why?
    I run booze-free 87. The truck runs great on it.

Yep I run alcohol free REC. Gas. It cost a little bit more, but I don't have to worry about the ethanol eating at the rubber. I run it in all my older vehicles and in things that have a tendency to sit for a while like lawn mowers, generators, and such.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

The Ethanol will clean out your fuel tank for you. Along with the metal fuel lines. Then it will rot the not ethanol ready fuel hoses, fuel pump diaphragm and maybe cause some issues with the bowl gasket on the carb if you have the rubber one on there.

The thing is that a clean fuel tank, clean fuel lines, new fuel hoses, fuel filter diaphragm and a carb rebuild are all things that a 50 year old vehicle probably need to have done to it anyway.

Put new ethanol compliant fuel hoses on from the tank to the metal fuel line on the frame rail. Then a new hose between the frame rail and the fuel line that goes around the bottom of the engine to the pump. Add a clear sided fuel filter somewhere. Fram G2 from Walmart fits perfect. Buy 3 or 4 and carry the spares in the glove box with the tools needed to swap them in. Then just drive until the fuel pump goes.

Or, plan a few weeks of down time for the truck. Spray penetrating oil on the fuel tank hanger strap bolts a few days in advance. Drop the tank, take it to a radiator shop to have them "tank" it. They will probably offer some kind of coating they can apply. If not, buy an ethanol friendly coating you can apply and put that on before you hang it back under the truck with a new ethanol compliant hose attached.

I think Then and Now is the name of the place selling the proper fuel pump rebuild kits. Get one of those installed at the same time and all should be good.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I really hate the E fuels. Unfortunately Maine doesn't sell non ethanol gas. Is there an additive that will kill the ethanol? I don't know if the previous owner changed out the fuel system for ethanol or not.

Look at the hoses. If the lettering is very faded or white. The ethanol will probably eat it. If the lettering is green then it is modern fuel compatible.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Look at the hoses. If the lettering is very faded or white. The ethanol will probably eat it. If the lettering is green then it is modern fuel compatible.
    great info. thanks. I'll post what I find