Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you had the choice... 523 Ford or 502 Chevy?

Ok folks...not many of you know me, but I have been around a while..(I just seldom post) I am in the process of building a trail rig out of one of my M-715's and am getting to the point I NEED to make a drivetrain choice ASAP...as the topic says...I am trying to decide between the Ford and the Chevy for a power plant.... I am very familiar with both of these engines performance wise...and brand loyalty is not a cocern here or I would be building a Rambler (too small) but which do you all feel would fit the best/offer the best performance?

Some truck plans to allow decent opinions to be offered are as follows.

120" WB running front and rear link suspension (upside down triangulated rear, and probably 3 link front) front coil overs and rear coil springs, Front and rear custom built Eaton axles running 5.14's and Detroits, the front axle running aftermarket inner and outer shafts, and the rear running 40 spline (still working on this as I need to see if the room to broach the Detroits side gears is present, I will know soon) Atlas trnsfer case, custom built to look like OEM rear box (Just shorter and made of aluminum, with removable side pannels) 41" swampers and most likely full hydro steering. That is the basics...the ONLY point I am possibly going to have to change is the Atlas, I REALLY want to run a PTO winch I own in a mid mount position, and the Atlas doesn't do PTO's so....(still debating this) I also plan to keep the weight to 4500lbs ready to wheel.

So, either of these engines will make the 500HP I need/want, and I own them both basically...So...which would you run, and besides loyality to specific brands, WHY would you run it?

NoRM

Default Replacement Mirrors

For the gearing we have, the one with the shorter stroke would be plenty...you could drop 50-150 cubes and still have a hot truck....I've driven several from an LT1 motor to Drews 550+ HP 460 and they had more than enough power to be considered a hot rod....Drews feels like full race.
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c
    For the gearing we have, the one with the shorter stroke would be plenty...you could drop 50-150 cubes and still have a hot truck....I've driven several from an LT1 motor to Drews 550+ HP 460 and they had more than enough power to be considered a hot rod....Drews feels like full race.
    brute4c
    I agree I could...But I have wheeled a 500+hp 523Ci Ford big block now for years...I am rather content with it actually. The only thing is, I am building both front and rear axles from scratch (I am going to avoid broken 60 pinions on this rig) and which side I toss the pumkin on is rather important...although I guess I could do whichever as I can run about any transfercase output I choose easily enough....Basically I was being a bit conservative when I said 500HP...I am planning a bit more

the idea behind this truck is excess strength, excess power, and excess tractor like simplicity, all wrapped up in a VERY abuseable package.

NoRM

NoRM

This is going to be a M-715 built like I suspect no M-715 has ever been built...

If you think you need so much power that you can beat your self and the vehicle to a bloody pulp, you are on the right track....realistically, I personally can see no need for that much power other than to actually compete in competition, use massive amounts of fuel, or just plain show off....maybe thats just me though....
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I would go with the Chevy. Just because of the greater parts availability and the cheaper cost for those parts. You never know when or where your super rig is going to break down and you need a $2.00 widget to get going again. That widget will probably be easier to find if it fits a Chevy.

I also would look at something besides the Atlas t-case. I think a few of the Zone members have used them with bad results due to the weight of the M715. I know that one of the 4x4 type magazines put one in a new Avalanche and had it tear itself apart only several thousand miles later. I think something that cost over $2000 should have a better track record.

Just my opinions, do with them what you please.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Default check out this ebay item

Barman

I agree with your logic..I am basicallly a Ford man but I own a few Big Block Chevy powered rides and I have a lot of respect for that engine as well..hence it's consideration. The plan is a VERY tractor like approach where I can get away with it...many years of wheeling that old Bronco and a few other rigs has taught me a few things.

1)Simple flat rulez on the trail...more like a farm implament of old the
    better!
    2)I can break anything...say aNP205 output as an example.

I want a fuel injected rig but unless I can bolt a carb on and drive it out of the trail it won't happen ( I think I found a way) I plan to run a points distributor as an example..the one in my Bronco spinds clean to 7200RPM and has never let me down if maintained..and a spare coil/points/condensor will about fix ANY ignition issue I may have arise...

The Chevy appeals to me for the ease of parts availability on certain items...although in truth trail fixable repairs sponsored by Mom and Pop parts house "nowhere USA" are probably just as realistic with the Ford. Point in fact my BB Chevy ate a fuel pump recently and I had to order one due to the "Fuel line location" changes made mid year it was the "least popular" model I owned naturally...I am sure I could have scored a 460 fuel pump anywhere. But agreed the Chevy is probably a bit cheaper to build....and given my self imposed weight limitation no question the BB Chevy and TH400 can be a bunch lighter than the BB Ford/C-6 combo...even if they are both Aluminum headed the Chevy is almost 125lbs lighter a combination. And no argueing the MUCH easier concept of aquiring good flowing BB Chevy headers that may fit...vs Custom building the Ford ones from scratch..something I don't really want to do.

The Atlas thing has me worried as well... but they keep telling me..."I don't think you can break it"...to which I think....does that mean ya "Dare me"?

NoRM
    who hates deciding between two good things

I vote Chevrolet, rear sump, rear distributor, abundance of parts. The big Fords sure sound cool though. Why not a computer chipped, large injected, propaned, nitrous Cummins? Enough torque to run three of your trucks. Some of these guys have figured out how to approach 1200 foot pounds of usable torque in a usable rpm range, amazing!
    Proud owner of two 1968 M0715 trucks....
    Maybe they own me....or soon will!

I vote Chevrolet, rear sump, rear distributor, abundance of parts. The big Fords sure sound cool though. Why not a computer chipped, large injected, propaned, nitrous Cummins? Enough torque to run three of your trucks. Some of these guys have figured out how to approach 1200 foot pounds of usable torque in a usable rpm range, amazing!
    Proud owner of two 1968 M0715 trucks....
    Maybe they own me....or soon will!

Bill Mitchell world products 634 chevy clone. 700hp, enough torque to rotate the earth, runs on pumpgas, Idles well, dyno tested and delivered to your door complete carb to pan with a two year warranty. The only substitute for cubic inches is more cubic inches.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveA.
    Bill Mitchell world products 634 chevy clone. 700hp, enough torque to rotate the earth, runs on pumpgas, Idles well, dyno tested and delivered to your door complete carb to pan with a two year warranty. The only substitute for cubic inches is more cubic inches.
    I like the way you think...but in all honesty my budget is not quite THAT large...although a 540 crate engine would work....then again I am looking forward to building my own engine.....tis half the fun. Although anything I will build will be very close to that style engine....large cubic inch pump gas engine...they can be quite tame when set up correctly. My 523 in the Bronco has lots of hard hours on it...less than always "nice" use and it is daily driveable if you can stand to feed it " it can get 13mpg at 60 if driven soft" but usually is closer to 10 mpg the way I drive it.

NoRM