Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: brute4c : Front axle teardown q's

Default tacomainoh :

Re: Front axle teardown q's
    Post by tacomainoh on Sept 6, 2006, 1:55pm

Holy crap.

I had totally forgotten about the closed knuckle. WOW>

In this case then, it really depends on how tight that bushing is??? And since I don't have one to look at, you tell me. Your theory is sound, grease can get past the bushing unless it's tight.

complete brain fart. Gee I ain't never seen these trucks before. Wow.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Sept 6, 2006, 2:02pm

Thanks...I thought I was missing something major....like that would be a first...

So does anyone have a clue what the clearance is before I get in there? Probably measured in small decimals of an inch I guess?

Default hiker :

Post by hiker on Sept 6, 2006, 4:31pm

I'd guess that the shaft to bushing clearance would be 0.005 to 0.010 inch. Doubt that it will be worn out enough to replace.
    Robert-ca

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Sept 6, 2006, 4:54pm

Thanks Robert!

Another thing that has been in my head is that the grease in the knuckles...best description I can give...looks like a bunch of pieces of a black crayon that has been cut in half and then split along its length....so depending how much may have gone past the bushing, the stuff down there would need to be cleaned out pretty well...maybe now I dont have to?

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Sept 6, 2006, 5:45pm

If your grease looks like chunks of anything at all it should probably be changed!

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Sept 6, 2006, 8:58pm

Brute, I did my front axle last winter seals, bearings, added disc brakes and lockout hubs. I wouldn't worry about it. Do you hub bearings and seals and add new felt and seal to your knuckle, clean and repack with new bearings. The grease looking like crayon as you described was the same in my axle. There is some clearance in there and I believe if things get hot enough grease my leak into axle tube and visa versa. I don't think the bushing and inner seal change would be necessary a pita if you ask me. Clean everything well, new seals, repack or new bearings fill with new grease, I like the kendal blue grease and or Lucas oil red grease, the next time you need to repack or look in there you can tell if something has contaminated or changed the color of the grease. It is a good indicator as to how things are wearing. Was pretty straight forward, I wouldn't do my carrier or disassemble the ring and pinion unless you have to. Good Luck

Default jed :

Post by jed on Sept 6, 2006, 9:20pm

I am now in the process of installing front locker, so carrier is out and new oil seals will be installed tomarrow. I had a little grease in my axle tubes as well. Once front axle is done, time for paint and to throw this thing back together, just in time for fun in the snow I hope!

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Sept 6, 2006, 11:14pm

A LOCKER IN THE FRONT AND SNOW ?? THIS WILL BE INTERESTING. CAN YOU SAY RATCHET ON SLICK ROADS ?? SCARES ME TO THINK ABOUT IT. HOLD ON MA HERE WE GOOOOO

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Sept 7, 2006, 9:04am

Quote:
    If your grease looks like chunks of anything at all it should probably be changed!

I am tearing it down to completely scrub the insides of the knuckles and make them like new...thus removing this mess...its just how far do I have to go to get all that I need to worry about that I am wondering...

Default jed :

Post by jed on Sept 7, 2006, 10:36am

Quote:
    A LOCKER IN THE FRONT AND SNOW ?? THIS WILL BE INTERESTING. CAN YOU SAY RATCHET ON SLICK ROADS ?? SCARES ME TO THINK ABOUT IT. HOLD ON MA HERE WE GOOOOO

Thanks for your concern. Have you tried it? Or is that just what you've heard? It's just for fun, man!

I'm not sure I would have put a locker in the front if my truck were a daily driver.