Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Divorced NP205 Mounting Bracket

Default Divorced NP205 Mounting Bracket

I am in the final stages of fabricating two brackets to hang my divorced NP205 transfer case. I've been wondering if anyone has had any difficulties with a similar setup.

My concern is the bushings and brackets hold up over time. My bushings are from Steel Rubber Products. They are not polyurethane. The brackets are A36 1/2" X 6".

Is this even something I should be worried about?

IMG_2020.jpg
    IMG_2021.jpg

Due to the fact that I have neither the tools nor the ability to do this on my own, I am going to have to get this done at a local shop. What you have there certainly looks well-made though. I dig the color you went with on your truck too. Not to derail your post or anything, but if you dont mind saying, where did your score your np205?

Nice looking brackets. They should hold up fine.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I found it on Craigslist a couple of years ago and paid $300 for it. I spent another $300 or so on the JB Custom Fabrication shift rails and rebuild kit. Internally, the transfer case was in pretty good shape. I'll be dropping a few more dollars soon for new yokes.

Thank you. I'm fabricating the brackets as part of an assignment for a fabrication class I'm taking at the local technical college. I retired last August and decided to go pursue a welding and fabrication degree with my youngest son.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMike View Post
    I found it on Craigslist a couple of years ago and paid $300 for it. I spent another $300 or so on the JB Custom Fabrication shift rails and rebuild kit. Internally, the transfer case was in pretty good shape. I'll be dropping a few more dollars soon for new yokes.
    I see them every so often on FB marketplace, but to be honest, I'm not confident I'd be able to spot any bs from the sale or not. From reading on here, I believe i should be hunting for anything GM with a passenger side drop. But, other than that, I could easily buy the wrong thing not truly knowing what im looking at.

Thank you. I'm fabricating the brackets as part of an assignment for a fabrication class I'm taking at the local technical college. I retired last August and decided to go pursue a welding and fabrication degree with my youngest son.
    I work with a guy that just got done taking a welding course at the local votech here as well. He said it was great and helped him with his project race kart. We're both USAF retirees and more and more talk about ditching contract work altogether and doing more fun toy things like this stuff.

I see quite a few SM465/NP205 combos on FB Market Place and Craigslist. Divorced cases are another story - I got lucky plain and simple.

Related...I found my SM465 on Craigslist and paid $200 for it. When I bought it, it had a beat up looking shifting rod and from all appearances was in questionable condition. Surprisingly, I got it home, tore it down, and discovered the gears and synchros to be in excellent condition as it had been rebuilt at some point. I replaced the gaskets, bearings, and bought a new shift rod and it's ready to go.

IMG_1099.jpg

I see quite a few SM465/NP205 combos on FB Market Place and Craigslist. Divorced cases are another story - I got lucky plain and simple.

Related...I found my SM465 on Craigslist and paid $200 for it. When I bought it, it had a beat up looking shifting rod and from all appearances was in questionable condition. Surprisingly, I got it home, tore it down, and discovered the gears and synchros to be in excellent condition as it had been rebuilt at some point. I replaced the gaskets, bearings, and bought a new shift rod and it's ready to go.

IMG_1099.jpg
    A few things.... 1.... wow, your shop is very impressive! 2.... I feel like im getting into this game way late. All the good deals seem to be a thing of the past.

3..... For your brackets.... im curious. Did you take your t case to class and fab it that way? Or just took exact measurements and got it done that way?

Thank you for the compliment on my workshop. Believe me, it's nothing special other than I have a hidden sit-down toilet (next nearest one is 600 feet away).

I just picked up the transfer case in 2022 and transmission in 2023. The deals are still out there. I've found you just need to be on the lookout. Last summer I was also able to score a never used, still in the crate (NOS) kingpin Dana 60 for $250.

I created my new brackets using the original brackets from the NP200 as a guide. After clamping the transfer case frame assembly to my welding table, I plopped the NP205 onto the table and starting moving everything into place. From there, I prepared blueprints, ordered some plate A36, and started bending and drilling. I think the biggest plus is having access to an ironworker to bend the plate.

IMG_1726.jpg