Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motor choice-

Aside from the issue of more power, are there any advantages to putting a big block motor in a 715 as opposed to a small block? Not brand specific.

I'm just curious of your reasons.
    -B.

well. I think you pretty much answered that one right there. One weird side effect I noticed on my work trucks (one BBC, one 350) is that the bigger motor got way better mileage. I'll guess that it's because of the increased torque of the big block making it easier for the motor to do the work required of it. Torque more than anything else is KING.

The other obvious advantage is bragging rights, but that goes w/out saying, so sorry I said it.
    **I heart Bump_r **

the bigger diameter pistons apply more downward force across the piston surface than a small block thus building more torque at the same rpm's. a small block has to rev higher and be built up more to achieve to same HP and tq. the 366 is a smaller bored big block that has about the same rotating mass as the bigger big blocks, thus more tq than 350 sb just not as much as say a 396.
    fuel mileage may surely increase and you use less throttle to go the same speed with a bb. On low geared trucks like 715 the small block is better designed for the higher revs (rotating Mass) but when needed the big block will come to life from idle thru peak rpms like no other. its really the question of if you want massive tq and hp and if you was using it to pull or bogg or tree climbin.

So, more power is the only advantage I'm seeing unless you REALLY care about mpg? It seems to me that with the tall gears you'd need a motor that can spin pretty high since road speeds are not really designed around our trucks and also I've found that spinning the wheels in mud clears my tread quicker and helps.

So, if the 350 was too little motor torque wise, or if I wanted to go from 8mpg to 12 mpg then this would be the way to go. But if I enjoyed knowing that 3000 rpm's on my drive to town isn't really THAT hard on my 350 as opposed to 3K prms on a 366 being tough on it, then I'd want the 350?

Hmmm...

Yeah...but, if you would happen to run across a set of...Oh say 4.56 gears THEN the added torque of the big block, even a nice mellow low cube big block, will help move the heavy truck along with the taller gearing. Since you don't have overdrive, gears and a nice rat motor would be so sweet. That'll cure your boredom.
    Big Blocks RULE!

How about a 6.2L or 6.5L GM Diesel? Lots of torque and power, yet will cruse at 3000 rpm all day long....And how can you not like the manly noise that they make...
    Zone holster maker

lots of torque and power? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Ok, they at least SOUND like diesels. 140hp or whatever they made, 190? isn't really LOTS of power.
    **I heart Bump_r **

3000rpm all day long? Really? How many days?
    Big Blocks RULE!

How many you want... Ok maybe not 3000 closer to 2500. I have one in my M1028 and I can pull my MKT with it all day long with out any problems. (Mobile Kitchen Trailer, built on a 1.5 ton trailer frame and are very heavy. Like moving a cement block on wheels.) (Good fuel milage too.) So the engine IMHO has good torque and I'm impressed with its get up and go....so yeah I think it has LOTS of power... More than my '93 F250 with a 5.8L (read 351 EFI) had.
    Zone holster maker

I don't really see the practicallity in that for my use. Were to swap in a diesel then I'd HAVE to get an overdrive tranny or get new gears. Were I to do all that or either of those then I'd much rather get a ratt motor.
    No offense to the diesel guys, I can see the lure of them and the advantages- they just aren't for me.

What I was mainly asking (read that "To keep this from becoming a debate about gas vs. diesel motors") is what is the advantage of a BB over a SB. As I understand it you will still be turning the same RPM at the same speed, just using less fuel. Though if you got different gears you could go the same speed at a lower rpm and a BB could do it without stressing the motor. By that logic then a BB would last longer. Hmmmm....

But, using a SB you have a motor more designed to spin at 3K rpms than a BB and with the stock gears you have the pulling power.
    Sounds to me like the way to go would be to just get an OD tranny and use a SB.
    or
    Get a diesel, an OD tranny, and new gears. That would be the best of all since you'd have durability, power, and cheaper fuel w/ better economy. (were you willing to spend the $)

If that's all true then why does Barry run a big block as opposed to a diesel?

I know there are flaws in the above logic, please point them out.
    -B.