Thread: Octane, lead subsitute for the 230?

Default Octane, lead subsitute for the 230?

I am running 93 and one bottle of Gunk Lead Subsitute per tank in my stock 230. The dash plate says Min Octane 85(where the h#!! do they sell 85?) but a friend of mine says that the old leaded gas was rated differently than the new stuff. He recommened the 93.

What do those of you with the 230 run?
    Is the lead subsitute doing me any good?

Thanks,
    Karl
    1967 M715
    1980 J10 Sportside
    1982 J10 Sportside

they sell 85 here in UT at least... and NY. Not sure if it's doing you any good.
    **I heart Bump_r **

The higher the compression ratio, the higher the octane needed to prevent detonation...the M715 stock has LOW ompression, 7.5:1...87 octane works just fine. I don't think high octane in such a low compression engine would give additonal power...maybe very slight but doubtful.
    On the lead additive, the 230 has hardened seats and does not require the use of leaded fuel or additives for lead.
    The 85 octane...on the interstate in Indiana I saw that...the low octane rating is basically a way of saying it will run on anything that is gasoline...down to the lowest octane...any pump in a storm...this is due to the low compression...if you were in some foreign country and could get gasoline...it would run on it...thats why the ratio is so low I think...civvy engines came in 7.5:1 and 8.5:1...mil only the 7.5:1 types.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I have used 87 for 8 years with no problems. The first 3 or 4 years I used lead addetive. I have not used it for at least the last 4 years with no changes in performance. I do not drive mine daily, but when I do I am ususally working it hard.

Default California emissions question

I've been running 85 in my poor little Cherokee, though just yesterday I see that 87 is supposed to be the lowest.. oops... runs fine though heheh
    **I heart Bump_r **

Default Cuda

Unless your car (truck) has electronics that constantly adjust ignition timing, and knock sensors to retard it back to prevent damage, running higher-than required octane is a waste of money.

The higher octane, as stated above, is a value to express the fuels RESISTANCE to self-ignite - a phenomenon usually found in high-compression engines. Ours is not.

You can, of course advance the timing to the point to where you need higher than originally-spec'ed octane and get more power (theoretically), but if you run stock engine, stock compression, stock timing - use stock-spec'ed fuel. No benefits to using higher octane fuel UNLESS (1) you change from stock configuration (compression ratio/ignition timing...) OR (b) the higher grade fuel happens to have other beneficial addiditves (anti-gumming/anti carboning/"cleaning" agents...)

We have minimum of 87 here, I typically run my timing a wee bit advanced (10 ~12 DBTDC) to take advantage of it.
    "other peoples junk, is something or other" - Militarypotts 02/07/2011

Blog Entries

For those of you with the stock 230. How many have the original style fuel pump? i have the civilian model on mine but WISH dearly I could put the original style back on. The diaphram in the original models just doesn't hold up to the newer gas.

Any solutions out there?

I have the stock pump on mine that came from the factory...bought the truck in 95 with 14051 miles, has around 26000 now...even drove it to Kentucky and back in 99 for the FE, put over 1200 miles on it i less than a week right there.
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!