Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a damaged or unusable canvas cab top

If I was closer, I'd give you a hand with all the other stuff you have to do...lol. Seems like you've got a lot on your plate, but with how yours turned out, I'm willing to wait.

Also, for anyone who's been following along, I heard back from New Life Canvas (through their facebook page). They have a 6-8 week lead time, and if you want any color other than OD green, it adds 20% to the price, but they can do it.

Al, you da man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by eightydeuce; January 31st, 2021 at 05:28 PM.

Something is wrong Bill. It looks very loose. I had to pull like heck to make the snaps on mine. The middle bow was a bear to pull snaps down around. The side panels required a serious pull down and around the bow side to make the lowest snap. That made it cover the top cab edge.
    It looks like a loose fold above the drivers side between bows. When on my truck it was tight as could be.
    The side panels came all the way down on my cab side. It looks to high and not laying right in the picture. When the metal buckles were tight as heck, I still had 1/2 inch of strap I could still pull above the footman loop.

You could bounce a quarter off the top when on my truck. I absolutely hope my truck top parts are not modified by a previous owner or just plain wrong.
    It would not surprise me. Dang me.

The one thing you should do is run your fingers across the top of the windshield frame to get the flap to lay back towards the middle bow. I can see it is not all laying back evenly. Same with the back flap. Flip it forward over the bow towards the middle bow.

Is it loose at all? It really looks like it.. Can the side panels be pulled down to cover the cab side? Would you please tell me what is not right. Every single thing!
    It looks WAY different from being on my truck. I am not happy with that fit at all. No more tops are getting made till I know this top is perfect. Bill, if we need to make it over I will. Please send me a PM and I want to know why it is laying different.

EDIT:

This is how low the side panels were on my truck. Note the door frame bottom edge with the snap around the corner.

EDIT #2: I am recalling the used canvas top you sent appeared shrunk and it would not fit. My first pictures of that were wrong and later I found it appeared to be shrunk only by 2 plus inches and not 5 in the pictures. This is a clue that maybe my truck is wrong. There has to be an explanation for the difference.
    Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; January 31st, 2021 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiltx View Post
    If I was closer, I'd give you a hand with all the other stuff you have to do...lol. Seems like you've got a lot on your plate, but with how yours turned out, I'm willing to wait.

Also, for anyone who's been following along, I heard back from New Life Canvas (through their facebook page). They have a 6-8 week lead time, and if you want any color other than OD green, it adds 20% to the price, but they can do it.
    They had a 6-8 week lead time 12 years ago. I put all new canvas over my entire first truck. It was a very long 8 weeks.
    Honestly, I would have them make you a black top. I suspect you would be very happy with it. Something is up with eightydueces top. It is not fitting his truck like it fit mine. We will get it sorted out. But something is different and it looks loose compared to my install.

I hope Teking sees this. Gotta wait and see what is up.

Bill, I studied the pictures closely. It looks like the door frame snap just behind the windshield is not snapped. The flap on the back should get tucked between the bed and cab. The back looks like it is not pulled down all the way. The buckles look very tight. I am thinking the back needs to come down. Sitting up that high, there is no way I could have reached the bottom snap near where the door lock would be on a civi rig. Is that a healthy loose spot between bows on the drivers side?

To say I was stunned after 15 seconds of looking at Bill's picture is an understatement. I called him this morning and got some details. Clearly there is something different between our trucks. Now we will try to find out what that is. To have the top be so tight on building it and getting the snaps secured that I was concerned it was to tight. Then to see how loose it was raised my eyebrows. A lot. Moving onward to find out why, then still aim at the goal of getting him a top that looks as good on his truck as mine did.
    More to follow.

Can someone who has a stock truck please tell me if both top bows are the same. Interchangeable?

Both top bows are the same. The difference in height is in the frame. The rear post is higher than the front post.

Blog Entries

If anyone has a set of bows pls let me know! Thx

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    Both top bows are the same. The difference in height is in the frame. The rear post is higher than the front post.
    Thank you Kwai. That is really helpful. Been thinking about this all day. I just sent Bill (eightyduece) 11 measurements to check. This is nuts.