Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a damaged or unusable canvas cab top

Ah, I see.. I have been wanting to see how to try and waterproof the window and seams. I have been to tired for my regular late night schooling surf sessions. That is when I learn the most. Thank you.

I've never done windows, but I imagine that it should work with that too, or maybe a light bead of silicone before stitching?

That sounds like it could get messy. I suspect attempting to seal the top will have to get put on the list with the other 300 things I wish I could actually get to someday. You just never know. It may be a long winter.
    Currently working on a second top right now. Still slow going but getting there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps View Post
    Later with Jon's (Brute4c) permission, I would make a post offering them up. .

Permission granted...get to it!!!!

Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Thanks Jon. I am not sure about making them yet. The tops would probably be a lot more expensive than the canvas duck tops. The material is very expensive and obviously very superior to canvas. I am still trying to complete the second one with some changes. It takes me days to make them and I doubt it would be worth it trying to keep them affordable while maintaining the quality that has to be there. I do really want to complete my truck by summers end. I enjoy doing these, but I want to go putt around the woods more. We will see. I am not decided just yet. But I am grateful for your post.

Whats best for you is best...if you want to produce one for others every so often, Im sure there will be people who want them...you'll figure out the right balance...I know you have a good head on your shoulders!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

If you're willing to make a pattern out of something more lightweight (like duck), I can sew and I'd be willing to pay for the pattern, so that you wouldn't have to spend your time making it. You've documented the process well enough that the basic instructions are here...lol.

Where did you get your fabric? Is that something you can get at a fabric store or something more specialized (online or upholstery shop)?

Quote Originally Posted by jwiltx View Post
    If you're willing to make a pattern out of something more lightweight (like duck), I can sew and I'd be willing to pay for the pattern, so that you wouldn't have to spend your time making it. You've documented the process well enough that the basic instructions are here...lol.

Where did you get your fabric? Is that something you can get at a fabric store or something more specialized (online or upholstery shop)?
    It takes three yards with no mistake allowance. As you can see the price hits 300 plus before it ever sees the cutting table or sewing machine. So far it takes me 5 days to make. I will never price gouge. I also can't do stuff to break even and or not make the appropriate funds for the time and sweat involved. There are cheaper fabrics. But if you read up some, Twillfast is the best.

https://prestigeautotrim.com/uk/mate...rtzfabric.html

This place is higher in price. Many places won't sell retail. But you can find them.

http://b-dco.com/jeep-twillfast-black/

My patterns are not dialed yet. I am still working on the second top. I also lost power 4 times in two days here. Nothing got done the last couple days. And I am starting my neighbors ring and pinion gear change this morning. I am not fast at anything so I shall return.

Nice work! It looks great.
    The first one takes the longest, the second one takes just as long because you're making improvements, the third one takes slightly less because you're working out how to streamline it. The fourth one the time is slowly getting less...the 35th one is like tigga dee boo done in no time. You will get faster with repetition. But hey if you don't want to be making M715 tops all the time then don't. Hope you get your truck done and can enjoy some wheel time this summer!
    Zone holster maker

Quote Originally Posted by k8icu View Post
    Nice work! It looks great.
    The first one takes the longest, the second one takes just as long because you're making improvements, the third one takes slightly less because you're working out how to streamline it. The fourth one the time is slowly getting less...the 35th one is like tigga dee boo done in no time. You will get faster with repetition. But hey if you don't want to be making M715 tops all the time then don't. Hope you get your truck done and can enjoy some wheel time this summer!

How funny and completely accurate. Made me laugh!