Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard top install

The brand is Blair.

This style is better for removing most of the center inside the cut. In your case you will be sanding or carefully grinding off the center "hub" for the lack of better words. So this one would serve you well. I prefer this cutter to the one below. I have both.

https://www.amazon.com/Blair-11096-C...73754471&psc=1

When I am replacing the same panel back in place later, this style leaves a more pronounced center "hub" to help align the original panel back. Leaving most of the metal in the center also is easier to fill the narrow cut with a weld.
    This type skips more. The arbor is not shown. Sharpen the center punch to a very sharp point and leave a healthy anchor point. For both types. When cutting come at the metal straight on. When you get a light puff of rust dust, stop and move on. You can always cut more later. Back filling an over cut is a pain. I also use a panel cutter which looks like a long flat piece of strap steel. They are hardened and very sharp on the end on two edges. Paramount for easing the panels apart and cutting the remains of the spot weld. You tap them with a hammer. They kind of go hand in hand with the spot weld cutters.

http://shop.blairequipment.com/Produ...CABEgLJivD_BwE

The panel cutter. I have this exact one. It is years old and has survived hundreds of strikes. I cut apart an entire wagoneer with this tool. And welded it all back together. It is still sharp.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTO-BODY-P...-/274439416282

If you can avoid amazon do it. I just pulled the first good picture I could find. They have become infamous for well done counterfeits. Ebay also but if then seller is a body shop, or a tool store, than you are probably good to go.
    Happy cutting.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; February 20th, 2021 at 11:04 PM.