Thread: brakes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hello,
    I have a 1968 Jeep Kaiser. The front end is a Dana 44 6 lug 1/2 ton. The guy says it comes from a 75' Chevy. I need to replace the power brake booster and Master cylinder. Question is I have no idea on whether it is a jb5/jb7... ?? Does it matter which one I buy? Is it going to make a difference that could be really harmful to other people as I drive down the road? (Don't want to hurt others). Also would it matter if I got a 3/4 ton verse the 1/2 ton model. Thanks for your help in advanced. The people here have no idea. Any info would help.

Thanks Dave

It is critically important to match the fluid rates and volumes of the existing master....and keep the length from the firewall to the back of the master the same.
    Regardless of your front axle.....where did they get whatever you have for a booster and master now? Are there any name/numbers on either one?
    NAPA usually has pictures of the masters in their books....you might find a helpful counter guy who will let you peruse the book and see what you can find....knowing original application would be a big help....
    Did the guy who did the brake mods ever come to the Zone? If so let me know his user name if possible, and I will look up in the archives and see if I can find anything by him that would help you...
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

brute4c,
    I got a # 05470409 d77. The master cylinder is a 2 chamber. I reconginize the power brake booster being a Chevy. What do you mean by keeping the master cylinder the same distance from the firewall?
    The guy's name is Christopher Shimp. I am not sure if he was a member or not. But if he had some questions or tech things he was doing that would definitely help.

Thanks
    Dave

The distance matters because when you push the brake pedal, you are pushing a rod of a given length forward to push on the rear of the master. If you put on a different setup that wants a longer or shorter rod, you will have to change the rod length or suffer....if the rod is too long for the new setup, as soon as you touch the brake, you'll be locking them up....if its not too long to even fit at all....if its too short, you wont have any braking at all until you push the pedal half way down or more or maybe none at all.
    I dont recognize the name....if he was on the site, he would have a user id....like mine is brute4c....if you know that, I can look for it in the over 45000 postings in the archives.
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Default Tornado (not the engine) lots of pics

Thanks brute4c, I don't know if even belonged to the site. The distance thing I understand now. Thank you.

Diving Kaiser / Dave

if it was a 6 lug it is a jb5.

DaveA
    Thanks alot dude. Would you happen to know what the techinical diff between the jb5/6/7?? Just curious what it means?

Dave