Thread: airborne : heater hook-up

Default airborne : heater hook-up

heater hook-up
    Post by airborne on May 8, 2006, 3:22pm

OK, where does everyones heater hook-up to? I have one hose to the intake, and the other to the pump. It doesn't get real hot,so I'm going to replace the therm with an 195,and see if that will help. The tech manual showes one hose out of the head,and the other off the pump. Do any of you think it would get hotter the book way,or just leave it the way it is,and put in the new thermo? Just had the rad cleaned and sealed. Also anyone know where to get the defroster nozzles? Will cj stuff work? Can cj wiper linkage work on our top mounted wipers? Early cj's had them on top,but I think they had 2 motors. Boy I'm full of questions to day,(Ha,Ha.)

Default barrman :

Re: heater hook-up
    Post by barrman on May 8, 2006, 3:39pm

I ran mine from the pump and head. It didn't get real hot so I tried the intake and pump. That was actually colder so I put it back. Mine would start out hot and then a minute later be cool again. I swapped engines.

Now, I realize my heater core is plugged up because my 396 doesn't get the heater any hotter.

If you move it to the head, make sure you use the pipe extension like the manual shows. I didn't and just threaded a hose nipple into the head. My hose melted off about 80 miles later in the middle of nowhere at night. The hose was not touching the exhaust manifold either. There is just a lot of heat right there.

Default socal715 :

Post by socal715 on May 8, 2006, 4:18pm

What heater? ...? lol Shoot i forgot.. mine is a west coast truck... never even came with one.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 8, 2006, 4:50pm

I live waay up north and with a 195 thermostat, I get heat in the winter from the 230 by having one hose from the side of the head and one to the water pump...I have an extra tube to do that if you need one...the tube for the side of the head as Barrman stated.

The defroster nozzles were/are available from Vintage Power Wagons M715 parts stuff. CJ stuff does NOT work.
    Last edited by brute4c; December 16th, 2009 at 03:15 PM.

Default airborne :

Post by airborne on May 8, 2006, 5:01pm

Barrman,thanks that does help. Funny about the hose melting off, sounds like something that has happen to others, but not atmitted to. socal715, that's funny also,want some northeast rust? I'll pay shipping.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 8, 2006, 5:07pm

The heater kit comes with the pipe in it to extend the hose away from the head...those who have installed it with a kit would have missed the problem probably...

Before I bought a 24 volt heater setup, I had used a 12 volt civvy one...but I had the pipe from a civvy motor along with other parts...in fact, I used one on my truck, sent one to someone a while back and I know I have at least one more in the shop...

Default oilcan :

Post by oilcan on May 8, 2006, 6:36pm

The wiper arms from an early CJ will work fine.

Default airborne :

Post by airborne on May 9, 2006, 6:18am

Thanks all. Now to work!