Thread: Starter Bolt Size?

Question Starter Bolt Size?

I don't know if anyone remembers my account of how we had to remove the upper bolt on the starter, but it was a circus, rodeo, and comedy all rolled into one. In an effort to avoid this in the future (and to tighten up the upper bolt that is still just shy of thumb-tight), I would like to replace the hex head bolt with a socket head one so I can use a ball-end wrench on it.

Can anyone pass along the diameter & length of the upper starter bolt? I'd really appreciate it. I don't want to have to climb on top of the engine & stick my nose down the carb throat twice.

It's a 1/2"-20 thread, 1" long.

I truthfully don't think you'll find it any easier with a ball end wrench. I had good luck by bending a 3/4" wrench-wish I could find it-but I bent the end at a 45 and ground down around the edges so it fit better. I also want to say I tackled it from the bottom, not topside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 67smith View Post
    It's a 1/2"-20 thread, 1" long.

I truthfully don't think you'll find it any easier with a ball end wrench. I had good luck by bending a 3/4" wrench-wish I could find it-but I bent the end at a 45 and ground down around the edges so it fit better. I also want to say I tackled it from the bottom, not topside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cool-- thank you!

I can't conceptualize how it could be any more difficult to remove a socket head than the hex bolt that's in there, especially from beneath where you can't even see the bolt.

For the small amount I'll have in that bolt, I'm willing to try it out.