Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3435363738394041424344

Thread: The longest build thread ever, at least it seems like it!

Default The longest build thread ever, at least it seems like it!

You do good work. If I live long enough, I will go back over mine with as much care.
    Last edited by Flingarrows; March 14th, 2024 at 08:37 PM.
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Thank you.

OK so I got the hood done. It to was a pile of hidden work. Apparently someone dribbled a bowling ball down the hood and I had a lot of work to do. I brought the dents out but still had to practice transferring bondo to the floor. First was to sand the "patina" off and see what I had to get fixed. I was surprised and how messed up it was. This was a 70 wagoneer hood and needed to have conversion work done. So I did it.

Only 10 dents on this side.

And a few more.

Why not keep finding them? That is a stainless wolfs metal fab shrinking disc on that grinder. The coolest tool that uses heat to shrink metal back. Got a stretched area? That tool rocks. I got rid of a 1/4 inch tall stretch on the front drivers fender with that. I just needed a minor shrink here. It is one of the handiest things I have. Stretched metal is a pain to work with if you don't have a way to shrink it back.

The wagoneer hoods have holes for the cross bar. I had planned on little turn signal lights to flash here with the OEM lights below, but the brush guard blocked it. So I cut a slug out, bent it and welded it up to get rid of the hole. I also eliminated the OEM hood latch holes to be able to put the modern latches on and not have a bunch of unused holes on the fenders.

Primer and some touch up.

I got all the bolt on parts rebuilt and put a new pad under the hood. It is a boom pad from summit racing. It has it's own adhesive. A neighbor showed up right when I needed help with putting the hood on. Perfect timing.

It looks good. I put the soft top on and needed to alter the lower corners. One side came out well and the other is not going to work. I will seam rip it out and add a new lower section to make the corner lay down better. I don't care about mods like that on my own personal top. I would never send out something like that to someone else. I have one other new top to check fit on. Maybe it will be more workable. But here it sits as of this morning. I am already working on the doors. Soon, very soon after I fix the tailgate and doors I will be wiring this rig. And drive it.

I have been trying to get as much done here as possible. I need to keep working on the home though. I am relisting it in two weeks to try and sell it. If I get a sale, all heck is going to break loose here.
    Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; March 25th, 2024 at 12:38 PM.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

If things work right, you might be able to use the truck to help you move....its really coming along!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I googled that wolfs disc. Pretty cool. I didn’t know those existed. The hood turned out great
    Thanks, George

Those wolfs disc are really something. The back portion of the drivers fender had over a 1/4 inch of crown to it. I took a while but I was able to bring it down to match a wagoneer fender crown that was known to be straight. . I use an oversize profile gauge along side the shrinking disc. I also assist the shrinking process by lightly tapping the area that is cooling with a body hammer with no backside dolly. It is amazing to watch happen. I use a straight edge while shrinking, then use the profile gauge to dial in the final work. Over shrinking can be fixed right away by a couple good ON dolly strikes. Where you hammer strike a metal back side dolly straight on and get the chink sound. You are forcing the metal to want to migrate away from the squeeze of that solid on dolly impact site and that will stretch metal back. Many people over strike on dolly strikes and wreck a panel with over stretching and then they have a tough situation to try and fix. Wolfs also sells a 8 or 9 inch disc for a big grinder. I have that also and it is great for bigger contact. But I use the 4.5 inch wheel more. I would say that the shrinking disc's are one of the most valuable tools I use for making metal move. The shrinking hammers with teeth do not work and they just destroy the surface. Metal is well known to get smaller with heat after cooling. Who ever thought of this and made that product is a genius in my eyes. Make sure all your paint is gone or it will deposit on the SS wheel. A quick scrub with scotch brite will clean it. I am self taught. These SS wheels will raise your body work capabilities. I love them.

If all goes well and I get a sale Jon, this truck will be taken to a secure location and left waiting for me. Those Yokahama tires will not fare well on the hiway and for what they cost now, I won't be doing hours on the pavement. The place I am regretfully needing to move to is Wenatchee Washington. A miniature version of WOKE Seattle. It is 4 hours on the money one way to Wenatchee. My goal is moving somewhere to the outskirts of town with nobody right next to me. My dodge dually and trailer are going to rack some miles on this big change. Please please pray I get a sale. I need to go somewhere where I am not reminded of Liz every moment. The devil literally came into my living room and took her life. I miss her and I want away from this home. And I owe it to Becky to start fresh somewhere new for both of us.

Good info, and praying for a quick sell
    Thanks, George

Thank you George.