Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rattle Can Camo

Thumbs up Rattle Can Camo

Well, a week and about 20 cans later my drive way camo job is almost done. I think I will change around some of the kahki patches and add some black lines (like the ones in the Manuals version of the camo sceme). It hasnt rained in So Cal for Months and last week, smack dab in the middle of my finish coat -you can guess Couple days later scuff and shoot again. Went back 3 times to Ace and Auto Zone. They both carry the paint, but in very limited quantities. We were talking about the Krylon Camo Fusion paint and I went with it because its available at both spots. Everything else was special order. For any one interested -spray it thin and far away with multiple coats necessary. Runs very easy but dries quick. It dries tough but seems slightly plyable as it is made for plastic (with all the previous colors of paint underneath the existing finish was almost like plastic anyway, so what the hey). It dosnt chip easy and seems like it will hold up. The cost for the cans is far more than what you would pay for quarts, but when laying out the colors and touching up mistakes having four colors available without having to clean out a gun is easy. Down the road ill probably go for a Gelespie jobber but for now it looks a lot better than it did, gets lots of thumbs up too
    The wheels and frame / wheel tubs will be next. More pics later. Thanks,
    Jay

Shot with COOLPIX P2 at 2007-08-02

That looks sharp, very nice job.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

How are you running the winch to the rear?

Good eye Steve. I was thinking the same thing.

I like the way you painted the JEEP on the tailgate too.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Congrats on making it look GREAT!!

Wow! That looks REALLY nice. Now, how about a new thread and tell us how you have that WINCH hooked up back there!

Alright, gimme some time to get some pictures together and ill start a new one with pics. I cant take credit for the install as it was there when I purchased it , but it is in need of some mods on the ugly side of the bumper for strength. I will box the frame space inbetween the bumper and the crossmember.As is, its only four bolts holding the winch to the crossmember. Its a Warn 10k with a home made dual relay circuit set up that is fully exposed ,and of course the bumber will recieve some fresh paint when all is done. Thanks for the thumbs up fellas, Jay.

Looks great! I've been thinking about doing the same. I'm rattlecanning the frame and underside right now. How many cans of paint do you think it took to do the camo job?

nice job!
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

As far as how many cans I used, I think it was somewhere around 25. I would start with 8 olive and 8 brown. 5 black and 4 khaki should do. At $4.99 +tax a can it comes out to around $140 . But like I said, time is saved when changing colors and fixing mistakes (which happened often for me). I already had a couple of cans of red oxide primer, but factor those in if you have body work to do. You can see the steps I took in the pictures. For me, doing it in this order worked the best. Layout the large patch outlines with soapstone. Spray them Black. Fill in Brown first then Olive. Fill in the Khaki patches. Go back and fill in Brown and Olive again to cover overspray from Khaki. Lay out the final Black lines. Repeat the steps to get good coverage if need be. Because this was a driveway project, my biggest enemy was the wind. Overspray was cut down by working early in the morning before work and after dark with lights. Time will be a factor, and like anything the more you have the better it will look. I live right next door to a liquor store with a lot of foot traffic . I think I spent more time explaining to the neighbors that I actually owned the vehicle, It wasnt graffiti, I wasn't mad at it, and yeah, I wanted it to look that way . Good Luck, Jay