Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pertronix upgrade

Guys be very careful with the routing of the main power wire (black) that comes into the distributor. Mine got severed by the weights inside the distributor leaving me stranded at a busy intersection yesterday. A $50 tow later I got home and today discovered the problem.

97XJSP had the same problem and he solved it by taping the black wire to the coil. Thanks to a spare engine I swapped my wires assemblies out and it is currently not in contact but I think I will do the same thing as 97XJSP just to be on the safe side.
    1967 M715 w/wn
    1968 M715 w WVT993 maint bed
    1969 M725

Got the replacement MV161A today and installed it with no problem, also installed a new cap with it as I found the old one had a few cracks in it and a bit of carbon on the outside, (suprised it ran with so many cracks). Truck started right up, can't take it for a road trip (legally), still waiting on the tags from the DMV, getting Antique plates with JEEP on them, (couldn't believe it was available for issue).
    1968 M725(2)
    1967 M715
    1967 M725(2)
    1963 M43
    1954 M37
    1967 M103A3 w/M1010 Body

Installed mine Thursday. Ran good for a few hour's then started bogging down. Now having trouble starting. Thinking the coil is bad but not sure

My M725 will be shipped from OK on monday so I dont have it yet but after reading the posts on this thread I ordered the MV161A. Thanbks for all the information.

You won that Lelant?!?!?! Nice looking 725 someone here posted the auction, I wish I would have had the money I would have got it. It's a great looking truck you should keep us posted on what your plans are....
    Chris

Yes, I won it! I'm excited to get it home. I plan to get familiar with it and get it in running order and use it in stock form for awhile. Ultimately I would like to transplant a 4bt, spring over / shackle conversion, 40's and go expedition style with it. We will see what transpires.

Default mv-161a

MV-161A is not a good part for the civi distributor i tried to install and nothing fits looks like i have a, iat 4416 11l prestolite any part numbers for that app.

Blog Entries

Just bought a 161A for my stock distributor. Cant wait to get it in. Love this website!!!

Good to hear.
    Mine has worked well in my M715.

If you have any questions please ask.
    Just don't accidentally leave the ignition switch on for a period of time without having the engine running.
    I burnt a Pertronix unit out while trouble shooting the turn signals on my CJ3B.

Just ordered from Car Shop for $128, plus $17 shipping.

Thanks for all the great information guys. Excited to get it in the truck. RB