Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dxeflyr : Jerry cans

Default dxeflyr : Jerry cans

Jerry cans
    Post by dxeflyr on Jun 29, 2006, 9:39pm

I bought a couple of Jerry cans and holders, and mounted the left side yesterday. I was looking at the right side of my truck, though, and there's no mounting holes... is this stock, or were the original holes filled in by some PO? Thanks.

Default luckypabst :

Re: Jerry cans
    Post by luckypabst on Jun 29, 2006, 9:47pm

No holes, passenger side.

Chris

Default dxeflyr :

Post by dxeflyr on Jun 29, 2006, 10:00pm

Crap. There goes $50 I didn't need to spend, I guess. Is anyone else running cans on the right side, and how did you attach them?

Default luckypabst :

Post by luckypabst on Jun 29, 2006, 10:21pm

I've seen it done and think it looks good, personally. Just layout the holes on the right side, same as the left and go to town.

Chris

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Jun 29, 2006, 11:52pm

Mine has the holes (military or PO must have put a jerry can holder on there before). Since it isn't perfectly stock, naturally I had the holes painstakingly filled in.

J/K.... I'm putting a jerry can holder on both sides. Never can have too much gas. Of course you know what I mean....

Default bigwheelbob :

Post by bigwheelbob on Jun 30, 2006, 7:01am

I have seen the holes on both sides, weather put ther by the po, or the factory.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Jun 30, 2006, 7:52am

I put mine on the passenger side. I just measured how far back and how far up the upper front mount hole was on the drivers side and copied it on the passenger side. Then I bolted in the mount with that one bolt, leveled it, marked and drilled the rest. You will need one footman loop to complete the can tie down.

I originally wanted to make a Mermite can mount on the passenger side and use it as a cooler. But, they are just a little (less than an inch) too big to fit between the fender flare and the front bed frame. I then wanted to make a military Gerry can style water container work as a water carrier. I couldn't figure out an economical way to seal the inside up and insure the water would be drinkable. I did get as far as putting an Igloo water spout inside of one though.

I think the dual Gerry cans makes the truck look balanced.

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Jun 30, 2006, 7:56am

I'm not sure what you are getting at with the "military Gerry can style water container". You do know you can get the water containers that look and fit just like the fuel cans, correct? Brand new plastic and work really well from what I am told.

Default beast :

Post by beast on Jun 30, 2006, 8:24am

When I bought mine, someone had drilled and bolted an extra mount on the passenger side. When I unbolted everything for sand blasting it was OD green under it. So either the military put it on, or the PO did before he painted the truck. I like the look of it, it helps break up that big open space between the fender flare and bed corner.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Jun 30, 2006, 8:45am

Lanty, yeah I know about the plastic water jugs. I just like the old metal ones with the huge cork sealed flip cap.