Thread: ratchet straps

i saw a skidsteer tied down with ratchet straps come off the trailer at 50 mph going downhill, the damage it did to a row of trees was impressive. the point is i would not trust those things to tie down anything heavy. my friend won`t either as he wrecked a machine that he paid 22,000.00 for. he now uses good old chains and binders. the straps were not the foriegn made ones either. larry

I carry both (chains + straps) with my trailer, really only use the straps if worried about tearing the paint up under something nice. Wanted to mention though while in Moab earlier this month saw a lot of vehicles tied down with straps very poorly that scared the hell out of me, I was glad I wasn't following them home. Makes me wonder about the skid loader you saw come off. (not trying to imply anything about your friend Larry, "stuff" does happen!)

Default Front driveshaft question.

I usually use chains, just an old habit. Lots of the guys I wheel around use straps and have no issues, but they tie em down right. Get something bouncing and I can see where it could break either of the choices.

Todd, what did that guy have that 715 tied down with??? You really need to post those picks, or send them to me again and I will

From a technical standpoint, I was really impressed with how well the windshield frame held up. I would have expected it to fold flat.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

i`m not sure what the thing weighs, but it was more than those straps could handle. i have seen several vehicles on trailers tied down with straps run over the axles, one front , one rear. hope they use the emergency brake and have it in park. scares me. and yes he does catch a lot of flak for his little misadventure. i might forget about it in 20 or 30 years since he had borrowed chains and boomers from me but didn`t want to take the time to put them on. to big of a hurry.

Doug, don't know what he had the M715 tied down with but considering what I know about the sale it couldn't have been too good. Didn't seem like the brightest bulb in the box! The reason the windshield looks that good is because it's the CJ frame they put on it afterwards. I'll post the pictures tonight from home. (my daughter showed me how)

I have used heavy ratchet straps for about 8 years. They are tired as recently one of them came unlocked and released. It's chains and binders for me next. Overkill is a good thing. Another BIG mistake people make is attaching to the frame or body. That is the quickest way to break any hold down. Always go to the axles. No shock load there.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

This is the 2nd (of 3) M715's Mike, who I work with, has bought. We had heard that this truck came off it's trailer and rolled 2-3 times. I purchased the 230 out of it from someone else to get the parts I needed to get mine running about 6 months prior. Mike decided one Saturday this January to track it down to see if he could get any other parts off it, gave the guy what he wanted for the whole truck. Included-350/400 turbo installed after accident, good tailgate, title, B+M shifter, aftermarket electric fan and all the junk in the back (including the 2 torch tanks!!). Think it was worth the $100? Anyone recognize it?

I read in the Quirks manual to tie the trucks down using the bumper attachment points, not the axles. Cinch it good and tight, and you will have very little bounce. My FSJ has been on many a flatbed towtruck and every time the operator chains up to the frame and draws the winch tight to cinch the frame down on the springs. My .02

RE binders, make sure you wrap something around the handle so it cannot spring open. I've seen binders do that, even if they're cinched tight.

Interesting with the CJ winshield