Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: truckin : 4BT cummins

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default truckin : 4BT cummins

4BT cummins
    Post by truckin on Jun 5, 2006, 5:17pm

Does anybody have any pictures of Lee's swap or any other 4bt swap? I'm curious as to how much room there is under the hood with this engine. Also, are the gear ratios the same in the diesel nv4500 as the gas version?

Thanks,
    Brad

Default robertcowan :

Re: 4BT cummins
    Post by robertcowan on Jun 5, 2006, 8:06pm

there is p[lenty of room for a 4bt cummins engine and you can go 2 ways with the trans. stock trans and 4.10 gears with 37.5 tall tires or a nv4500 style trans with 4.56 gears and taller tires helps. i,ll have pix comming soon on the stock trans setup. i,am waiting on some bushings for the t-case swap to come in ( AGAIN they sent me the wrong ones ).
    bob

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Jun 5, 2006, 8:07pm

nv4500 trans have the same amount of overdrive

Default rpgdeity :

Post by rpgdeity on Jun 5, 2006, 8:27pm

I am interested in the 4bt/6bt swap for my 715. I'm thinking more along the lines of the 4bt. This is a rather general question and I know it depends on a lot of variables (i.e., tire size, axle gear ratio, trans. ratio, OD or not, driving style...), but what kind of MPG do you think I could expect out of a 4bt in my M-715? Does anybody know approx. what Lee got with his? Am I looking at less than 10, more than 10? I am asking because my Jeep is for Search and Rescue, and I am wondering what my range in miles would be. I am looking at many options, just trying to gather as much info as I can. Thanks.

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Jun 5, 2006, 8:33pm

Lee said he was getting 25-30mpg. He and Tom also told me that there was a lot of shifting and a pretty short powerband.

and yeah, there is a ton of room for a 4bt.

Default rpgdeity :

Post by rpgdeity on Jun 5, 2006, 8:37pm

Wow, 25-30 isn't bad at all. His was NA right? What does a turbo do your MPG? I would think it would decrease it because your pushing more A/F mixture. Am I correct?

Default truckin :

Post by truckin on Jun 5, 2006, 8:44pm

Anybody know of a good source for engines? What's the going rate? I know they are in the frito trucks, but I don't see alot of them for sale around here.

Thanks for all the info,
    Brad

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Jun 5, 2006, 8:48pm

i got all you need in any variation you want to go engine, trans, & transfer case wise. also i can install it all for youbob in tn.

Default davea :

Post by davea on Jun 5, 2006, 11:03pm

Just finished helping with a 4bta swap into a '79 F250 4x4. Worked really well. Used a zf5spd from a 460 behind it. Won't bore you with all the details here, but looks like it is going to get somewhere around 28-30 mpg. Learned some useful info about these swaps. If ya'll want to know about the stuff we ran into and the solutions we found send me a pm.

Default bigwheelbob :

Post by bigwheelbob on Jun 6, 2006, 6:08am

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/cummins4BT/ Check out this yahoo group.