Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front bumper and tow shackles

Default Front bumper and tow shackles

I have no bumper on the front and am going to try to make one. Im going to get a piece of C-channel and make one. Where can I get the tow shackles from? Also is the bumper supposed to be straight or is there a tweek at the ends?
    US ARMY

For just the shackles, no pins included, you can get them from Army Surplus Warehouse.
    (208) 529-4753. Shipping wt is 7lbs and the cost is 24.95 plus 9.61 for shipping. You get aftermarket pins from Tractor supply or do like I did and beg, scrounge and trade till you have a full stock set.
    The stock bumper is straight, no tweak.
    Be sure and post pic's after you've made it and got it on. I'd like to see how one might look.

$22.00 for the tow shackle with the pin:

http://www.snakeriver4x4.com/m-715.html
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

DOH...overpaid again!!!!

Dont you get all 4 from Army Surplus Warehouse for $24.95? The snakeriver4x4 price is for 1 shackle and 1 pin....
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Are you going for stock or function? I ask because the stock M715 front shacles are unique to the M715, kind of a pain to make the bumper fit around and you need the hard to find high priced tow bar adaptor to hook up the military tow bar.

I have a 6" channel iron front bumper myself. So does Agengr and Kwai on at least one of his trucks. They are twice as thick as the stock bumpers. I cut mine up for the tow shackles to fit. Then bolted on a pair of M35 shackle mounts a year later to actually do towing with when I decided $200 or so was not what I was willing to pay for the tow bar adaptors. Here is what I ended up with:
    My Tow Bar Mount Solution

It is your truck, so do what you want with it. Not trying to tell you how to build the thing.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

VPW and Memphis had repro bumpers made from some pretty thick steel. A lot thicker than stock and they already had the slots in the front for the shackles.

They were around $125 last I checked. They weren't as thick as Barrman's though, so if you wanted to do the towbar feet like he did, this probably wouldn't be the best option.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Jester Guest

Fisherman and I made mine out of channel. Cut slots for the original shackles and tapered the ends up. Its also alot narrower in overall width than the stocker. It is heavy duty.

New Front Bumper

Default Tractor Supply?

Quote Originally Posted by fng View Post
    You get aftermarket pins from Tractor supply
    I have heard this before. There are no 3/4 x 5 clevis pins at any Tractor Supply around here. In fact, there is no use for a pin this size in the agriculture world I live in so don't know why they have been reported there. The only source I have found is MSC Industrial Supply and then, it is a case order only as it is a special size. If we have enough people who want sets of 4, I can order a case of 25. The warehouse is close to me.
    Last edited by rboltz; June 4th, 2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Added
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Got this clevis pin from a mail-order Tractor Supply store. Naturally I found them for half that price later at the Dell's Farm Supply outlet here in my own home town! Perfect fit.

I come across these shackles fairly regularly at a place in Utah. They usually come with a nut and bolt. I think I have an extra set of 4 in my garage. If anyone's interested, I'll let them go for $10 a pop, including the bolts they came with. Plus the ride unless I'm handing them to you in person.

Also, I had the guys at work make a bumper for my truck on the press, then stamped out the shackle slots. I believe it's just a 10-gauge piece of steel. No drama.
    Last edited by Binford; June 5th, 2009 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Spelling
    -- Tim Taylor