Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: only1jp : more engine swap ?'s

Default only1jp : more engine swap ?'s

more engine swap ?'s
    Post by only1jp on May 13, 2006, 9:24pm

Has anyone done an electric windshield wiper conversion? I'm considering doing an electric vacuum pump to run the factory wipers, but that may prove a much more pricey venture than it's worth. Also how difficult was the switch to make? I was also wondering about radiators and fans, I am leaning more towards an electric fan with a new crossflow radiator w/dual fans if there's enough room. Does anyone know what fits or a kit that's available? How about pics of your swap? By the way, I started to assemble my 383 stroker today! Got all of the plastigage done, clearances in the mains and rods look perfect. I will say that spiral lock pistons are hard on the fingers!! Ran into a small snag though, didn't realize my rings are file to fit, wouldn't you know, nobody has a piston ring file...... ggrrrrr

Default binfordm715 :

Re: more engine swap ?'s
    Post by binfordm715 on May 13, 2006, 11:44pm

I think Al (kaiserjeeps and/or thetroublemaster or something like that) has done the electric wiper swap on his CJ-5 using a marine wiper or some such. But that was using an electric motor to run the wipers themselves, not a vacuum pump.

Default compexp :

Post by compexp on May 14, 2006, 10:04am

Looking at the cowls and such, it appears that the civilian wipers would mount up. the only issue would appear to be that the mil windshields are flat, and the civvies curved, but i think a slight "modification" to the wiper arm to remove some of the curve would work.

I was unable to try this on mine because I stupidly mounted my fuse panel in the middle of the dash behind the gauges. doh!

I got a couple of electric motors from AB and they work, but not really well. I think PCs marine motors sound like a good if pricey option

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 14, 2006, 1:29pm

I used the JC Whitney wiper motors in 24 volt...they bolt right in and the wiper arm sold with them work fine on the flat windshield.
    They have one for $29.99 and $39.99...dont know the difference...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemB....-p_CA TENTRY_ID:100000235657

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemB....-p_CA TENTRY_ID:100000235941

The marine motors are definitely more robust and will last longer as they have metal gears instead of plastic. They also are adjustable for a wider swing arc. They are also more expensive of course...

Default only1jp :

Post by only1jp on May 14, 2006, 6:00pm

brute did you mount them where the stock vacuum wiper motor is located or somewhere else?

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 14, 2006, 6:25pm

They fit in the stock holes with no modifications. The pattern on the M715 is the same "universal" pattern used on cars and trucks back in the 30's-60's. Not the brand specific kind of course...there are lots of vehicles that used them...

Default only1jp :

Post by only1jp on May 14, 2006, 7:09pm

Sweet! Sounds like a much more economical way of getting operational wipers than the 12 volt vacuum pump, I was considering!

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on May 14, 2006, 7:41pm

I would like to get my hands on the electric wipers used in the M35A3. I would think those would be the cats PJs. Does anyone here have any info on them?

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 14, 2006, 10:02pm

Both the JC Whitney and marine type are available in 12 volt as well as the 24 volt...in case you need...

Default only1jp :

Post by only1jp on May 15, 2006, 12:11am

thanx brute! Have any pics of your switch?