Thread: shepsjeep : Spark Plugs...

Default shepsjeep : Spark Plugs...

Spark Plugs...
    Post by shepsjeep on Nov 14, 2006, 7:24pm

Can someone tell me about the spark plugs for the 230 in general?

I have searched throughout this site and Military catalogs for the correct part numbers and places you can acquire them. This is what I found:

Manufacturer - Autolite

Part numbers 2344(resistor type), 2245(resistor type), 275 (non-resistor type) All available from NAPA (special order)

Prices - 2344 and 2245 are $7.80 ea and the 275 is $1.69

Which number should we use on a stock 230 engine?

I ordered a spark plug wrench and got it yesterday. Today I tried to take one out and found that they were frozen (rusted in). I sprayed some PB Blaster around the base and I am letting them soak. The wrench seems to work for the ends of the spark plug wires, but are nearly impossible to get around the base of the plug itself due to there being two plugs so close together. Is there an easier way to do this? Is there a socket available that will fit?

Default rip68 :

Re: Spark Plugs...
    Post by rip68 on Nov 14, 2006, 8:23pm

I was told the NAPA part # 2344 is the correct one to use. So I ordered 8 (two four packs). Then gapped them .028 (manual says .028 - .032). Then torque spark plugs 28 to 30 lb.- ft. using the deepest 13/16 inch socket you can find.

(Not that I ever found a deep enough socket, or torqued them to specified ft. lb.)

I just tightened one of the pair down with a wrench 1/4 turn past finger tight. And the second of the pair finger tight. (until I find a deep enough 13/16 inch socket)

Default jfnemt1ff1 :

Post by jfnemt1ff1 on Nov 14, 2006, 8:37pm

Yep autolite 2344 works great.

Default shepsjeep :

Post by shepsjeep on Nov 14, 2006, 9:19pm

Thanks, That's helpful.

Default kwai :

Post by kwai on Nov 14, 2006, 9:21pm

The military plug wrench is used to remove the wires. I find that on the M715 the wrench is still too thick so I ground down the sides for more clearance. Once the wires are off, you pull the plugs using a deep socket with an extension.

Default vrod02 :

Post by vrod02 on Nov 15, 2006, 1:24am

Icut a deep well socket in half for the plug wires..

Default vrod02 :

Post by vrod02 on Nov 15, 2006, 6:00pm

Also blow the crud out with a compressor around the plugs BEFORE you take them out

Default shepsjeep :

Post by shepsjeep on Nov 16, 2006, 11:47pm

Well, today I got was able to get the plugs out. I also ordered new ones. NAPA only charge $7.80 ea. Better than the $12 or more that everyone else is getting. The electrode has just a fraction left. Barely enough to re-gap until the new ones arrive. I am surprised it still ran.
    Thanks for the support!! Rip 68, O'Reilly's has a pretty long 13/16 deep socket that worked great, for $5.99.