ForumsBasic TrainingOnline Maintenance ManualsThe M715 Zone Vin RegistryVPW's M715 Parts ListGalleriesLinks

Go Back   M715 Zone > General Tech > Modified Tech > Modified Tech Archives

Old January 25th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Corporal

tacoma is a Soldier

it is: get some FSJ springs and modify the spring mounts. Solved! You can thank me later hahahaha
Old January 26th, 2004, 11:37 AM
. . . _ _ _ . . .

Hammer has disabled reputation

Just for a note of comparison, 4" lift springs for a FSJ are the same arch as the stock M715 springs. And the fact that they are softer means you will not get the same amount of lift from them. So to possibly gain 1.5" of lift, you could swap to the 6" lift springs for FSJ's. But you either need to change your spring mounts, or wait a while until the newer 6" version comes out for the older FSJ trucks (same mounts).
Old January 27th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Civilian

Nuke_jeeperguy/wyo is an Observer

what type of spring mount mods are you guys talking about?switching to another spot on the frame,lowering or widening the mounts????? has anyone attempted a shackle reversal?that would help ride and steering a touch??
Old January 27th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Private

Nuke_M1028 is an Observer

Hey jeeperguy, I'd answer you but the last time you told me that I was narrowed minded ! My truck is set up that way already, but then again what do I know. M1028
Old January 27th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Corporal

tacoma is a Soldier

not much, you ignorant American redneck: all your trucks are broken, right? hahahaha

anyway. I forgot to look at the mounts last time: what did you do to the fronts? I'm going to have to take more pictures next time.
Old January 28th, 2004, 11:22 PM
New Recruit

ncjeepers is a Soldier

As far as I can tell, the 715 doesn't share the exact same front spring mounting configuration as any of the other Jeeps. All of the early Jeep trucks, including the 715, had the "post mount" type springs, but that's where the similarity ended. The Wagoneers were spring under, like the 715, but the springs were much closer together. The J-trucks were spring over. BJ's Offroad is currently developing some lift springs for the early post mount Wagoneers, but I doubt they'd do us much good. In the future, they may develop some for the early J-truck, but who knows if they will come any closer to the 715 stuff. I doubt it. The lift kits currently available for the later FSJ's have a completely different mount. Any way you go, you're most likely looking at custom spring mounts for any off-the-shelf spring.
If you can get custom springs for $180 ea, that sounds like a deal. Like tacoma says, the increased arch won't flex as good as a flatter spring, but the stock springs are so stiff they don't flex at all, so you may actually come out ahead!
Old January 29th, 2004, 08:40 AM
Civilian

Nuke_jeeperguy/wyo is an Observer

thanks for the input I think I'll giv'em a try and see what happens.......Love that wrecker that's about as rare of a jeep there is do you know production #'s on that old dog?
Old January 29th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Corporal

tacoma is a Soldier

the wrecker variants were made from the factory cab/chassis.... fairly rare, but not a factory option.
Old February 11th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Sergeant

gimpyrobb is a Soldier

Wow! are you guys married or what?
Old February 12th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Private 1st Class

Nuke_spicergear is an Observer

I've glance through this a couple of times and hope I didn't miss it, but why not pull a couple leaves from the stock pack, then spring over it? Several guys have already posted in the past about the much enhanced flexibility of the suspension with a couple leaves removed and then the spring over would gain you the few inches you want. ?