Thread: 496 Chevy

I know some of you guys have 700R4's behind 454's in your trucks, is there a way that I could drop a 496 in my truck and keep my 700R4? and is it a good idea to try it? Also would there be enough room for it in the engine compartment if I put in a 2 or 3 inch body lift? Please don't rip into me too hard if these are stupid questions. Thanks -Sweeney

Default Calling all A.M.C. gurus

not a problem! you can get a painless wiring kit for converter lockup. it comes with everything to hook it up and works without a computer for about $125. shouldnt be a problem putting a bbc in as there is plenty of room under the hood. itll just take a little ingenuity but should be easily done.
    good luck and I know some of the guys that have installed bbc's will help more.
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715

Are you talking about a new 8.1 liter or a quater inch stoker 454? They'll both work, a 4L80 may be a heavier choice though.
    Big Blocks RULE!

Yeah I was talking about the new 8.1 liter, I was looking for a 350 but I found a deal so good on the 496 that I am considering getting it if I can make it work. I don't know a good amount about engines but not enough to know that if I chose to go with the 496 that everything would work ok. Right now i have a Chevy 4.3 and a 700r4 and I was told the 496 should bolt right up to the 700r4. I was looking to pick up a rather cheap engine so buying another transmision is something I would like to avoid, I would like to try it with the 700r4 hope it works, then if theres problems I could deal with it then. I would greatly appreciate any imput from people who know more knowledgeable than I am.

Default split rim tire changing

The backside of the engine is the traditional chevy style, so bolting up shouldn't be a problem. I've not yet worked on or with one of these yet, but this is just what I've heard.
    Big Blocks RULE!

Just remember the traditional firing order has changed when you wire it.