Thread: Another way to remove runflats

Default Another way to remove runflats

So this weekend I had the opportunity to remove the huge chunk of rubber inside my XL tires known as the runflat donut. I had 4 tires to do. After seeing several people using the "cherry picker" method, I decided that wasn't going to work for me. First reason being that my cherry picker is a homebuilt engine puller that was designed (and used) to pull HUGE diesel engines out of commercial trucks such as Freightliner, Mack, International, and the like. I am just too lazy to yard that huge thing around. Second reason being that I just didn't like the idea of trying to pull an inner donut of solid rubber through the beads of my nice new XL's...

So I came up with another way of removing the runflats that I haven't seen before. I cut them out with my sawzall. I put a block of wood under the runflat (so that I wouldn't go past the run flat and into the bead of the tire) and a wood wedge to hold the bead up above the top of the runflat. The sawzall made good work of the solid rubber runflat until about halfway through it, then it started to get pinched in. With my dad using a prybar to pull the 2 cut peices apart, the sawzall went through it like butter. With the runflat cut, I just pulled them out rather easily.

1st tire took us about 20 minutes to figure out. The other 3 tires took another 10 minutes. A total of 1/2 an hour later, and no solid rubber chunks flying at me, I had the XL's ready to be mounted.

Just something I thought I'd share with the group. I'll post pictures soon.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Jester Guest

I used the cherry picker method and it is entertaining Good to have another message avail.

This or using a ratchet strap to compress the inner run flat and using pry bars to pull it out was always the way we went when i was deployed. And if the tire was junk and we needed the run flat we just cut the sidewall of the tire out and pulled it out.

My question has always been...How'd they get in there???

Magical elves.

There's a special tool that compresses them enough to slip in. I had a pic at one time, but I haven't been able to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by poolmike View Post
    My question has always been...How'd they get in there???

We did the reverse when putting runflats in while we were in the field. 3k ratchet strap to compress it then a few tanker bars. Definetly was not easy, but it eventually works.

I have the manual at work for the machine that puts them in. I will post it up if I remember.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw