Thread: BBC Headers

Default BBC Headers

Those of you are using B.B. Chevys, what application headers work best? If it matters I am using J-civvie frame mounts which mount directly inside the upper shock mounts.

i used 67-72 GM 4x4 truck bbc headers. they are hooker comps, and i had to modify the #6 tube slightly for firewall clearance. pretty easy overall as far as the modification goes. headers fit well, and cleared the factory heater box and the steering shaft. there are pics in my build thread titled "found one" in the open discussion forum.

Ryan
    67 #18820 mostly stock...

I used the hooker headers designed for a big block blazer and they worked well, they are a custom part # that the speed shop looked up for my application.

Just go cast iron Dave. We all know headers will warp, leak, develop holes and generally be a pain.

Of course, I was driving the 396 yesterday taking Colton to and from baseball practice. I had to play a little on the way home. That thing pulls great from idle, really comes alive about 2200 rpm as in mash you into the seat alive. It just gets better as it revs. Until about 4200 rpm. That is my go fast shift point because with the cast iron stock 1966 exhaust manifolds, it can't breathe above 4200 rpm. Every now and then I will get it up that fast and think about how much better it would run if I had headers. but, then I would have to have a bigger open element air filter. Along with a NP205 to use the power in higher gears, tires that don't have acres of sidewall so I can actually drive at the higher speeds, disc brakes so I can stop from the higher speeds and probably a roll cage too. Wait a minute. That is why I have the Mini and why I am building the 283/5 speed MGA.

Do what you want Dave. You probably know the plusses and minuses of headers better than most. I was just pointing out where my Edelbrock cam, intake and carbed 1966 396 tells me it needs better exhaust at.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I am not married to the idea of headers, but both manifolds are cracked and require replacement. By the by, can the speedo sensor on an '89 k3500 t-case (BW1356 IIRC) be swapped for a mechanical drive assembly? I lucked into a deal on a fresh 454/th400/t-case combo for cheap.

If you want a best of both worlds maybe Sanderson's cast headers? http://www.sandersonheaders.com/prod...products_id=41

We use Sanderson products all the time. Quality, fit and performance are always as expected.
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Just go cast iron Dave. We all know headers will warp, leak, develop holes and generally be a pain.
    Don't cheap out on headers and this will happen to you. If you get a quality set you will never have any issues.
    1967 M715 w/ 454 and TH400