Thread: Civilian Distributor

Default Civilian Distributor

I'm running a civilian distributor on a 24 volt system through a 24/12 converter. It's my understanding that a resistor drops the voltage to the points to 6 volts on a 12 volt system. What I'm wondering is if I could run 24 volts to a resistor then to a coil with a internal resistor and get 6 volts to the points so I could do away with running it through the converter? Has anyone ever tried this?
    67-m715
    71-m35a2

I know that people have talked about using resistors to run 12 volt items on a 24 volt system without a converter....I dont know which one or ones to use but it has been said that the 12 volts that is resisted away is thrown off as heat...the more amps involved, the more heat thrown off. I have a 5 amp fuse on my civvy ignition and thats plenty...3 amps may be enough.

I believe its possible but might not be practical...need a resistor that can handle the heat for a long period of time.

Dodges with a ballast resistor cut the 12 volts from the battery down to something like 9 volts...I think the 230's resistor does about the same...if I can find it again, I have the resistor out of the Jeep I got my civvy dist from, took everything from the keys to the distributor...be glad to test it if I do find it out there...no promises right now...I'm slipping backward healthwise at present.

Go easy Jon.....

Default Resister to drop Voltage

Using Ohm's Law
    Voltage = Amps x Ohms

In order to cut the voltage in half or to go from 24v to 12v, the proposed resistor would need to have the same Resistance or Ohms as the the load or ignition coil you are using. The resistor would also have to be able to handle the same or more load or amps as the coil is running. The overall amps will be double as the voltage is halved, so your existing fuse running to that circuit would need to cover double the load as it would normally do for a single coil ingnition system.

Find a local electronics guy and have him help you select the proper resistor. Other then that, it should work just fine.

Another method which I tried was to connect to the first battery in your 2 battery 24volt system and take 12 volts directly from there whithout bothering with a resistor.