Thread: Front Grill / Clip Removed

Default Front Grill / Clip Removed

I thought I would post some of my disassembly for the record. The outer front grill came off, about a 10 bolts, most broke off. The toughest task with the disassembly was remove the winch, bumper and braces.

There were no welds on the outer grill.

Next week, the new parts go on, but I will use Rust-Free instead of POR on the frame and braces and inside of the grill and fender. I would agree with some of the Zoners regarding Rust-Free being much more superior that POR. So much so, I am going to become a dealer for the product.

Thanks for all the help thus far!!!

Quote Originally Posted by joesco715 View Post
    I would agree with some of the Zoners regarding Rust-Free being much more superior that POR. So much so, I am going to become a dealer for the product.
    Awesome! Zone discounts, everyone!

Pretty amazing how simple and basic these trucks are to take apart and put back together. Compared with modern trucks....OMG....
    -- Tim Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    Awesome! Zone discounts, everyone!

Pretty amazing how simple and basic these trucks are to take apart and put back together. Compared with modern trucks....OMG....
    Binford,

You got that right, the truck is very "modular". Yes, should have the online store up by next month.

Joe,
    Please tell us more about your truck!
    Mikel

Mike,
    Below are the specs and description provided to me by the previous owner. There is about 6,000 on Hercules Diesel since the repower.

1968 M-715 Kaiser 1 ¼ ton jeep with winch and a brand new Hercules turbo diesel conversion and regearing. With body damage. This truck was purchased at a local city auction with 8900 miles on it. It had been used by the local fire department and kept inside. I subsequently drove it daily until it had over 20,000 miles on it before sending it to M-Series Rebuild and Repower in Greensboro, South Carolina. And had all the conversion work professionally done. When the truck was done, I drove a miata there to Greenville, hooked it up behind the jeep and drove back home to Frankfort, Ky. On that first trip, I got 18 mpg. You wouldn’t even know that the miata was behind it of course. I would usually pass the semi rigs going up the hills, as my speed didn’t decrease appreciably, and they would pass me going down the hills when they would reach speeds of 85-90 mph. a good cruising speed for this truck on level ground is about 73 mph. towing or not. I subsequently made trips to Cincinnati, Louisville (regularly), Letcher Co., Ky, and Knoxville Tenn. I used the truck in my log cabin restoration business on semi regular basis. The body damage occurred when I let a worker that was unfamiliar with the winch operation use the truck. They couldn’t resist finding out what that little lever on the floorboard did and turned the winch on. Well, the winch cable was hooked to the front brushguard and when the winch spooled in, it deformed the front part of the body. As you can see from the pictures. The frame of the truck is not deformed in any way and the winch is not permanently damaged. The winch only operated until it pulled loose from the winch driveshaft, thus disengaging power. This truck is not affected in any way mechanically. The intercooler is fine as is the radiator. I have invested over $25000.00 in this truck. This truck can be driven anywhere from here to Mexico if need be, and you don’t even have to have a road. Here is a partial list of the improvements that have been made to the truck. About 5-6000 miles have been put on the truck since the conversion. It has been parked in my barn with a tarp over it with only occasional use to haul firewood and etc.

1. New Hercules turbo diesel and clutch ($13.000.00 for engine kit)
    2. New brake calipers and shoes and master cylinder
    3. New gears and bearings in differentials (cruises @75mph)
    4. New seals in transmission and transfer case
    5. New bearings and seals on the axles
    6. Electric wiper kit
    7. Tires (Denman)
    8. Complete exhaust
    9. Cold start ether injection system
    10. New cable for winch
    11. New universal joints
    12. Heater
    13. Front lockout hubs
    14. I have a new have a new rubber windshield to cowling weather strip that has not been installed
    15. Batteries
    16. New radiator

Very cool! I might be in your neck of the woods in a few weeks to pick up a tranny for my '66 Toronado - Would you mind if I stopped by to check out your truck?

Mike,

Not at all, just give a call on my cell 603-329-5000.

Saw it on ebay a couple times

Will do. Thank you