Thread: Distributor clearance, Clarence...

Small block chevy guys, answer me this:
    Will an HEI distributor fit under the hood w/out clearance issues?
    What about an Accel Super Coil distributor?
    If you are running either, let me know what ya think pro/con, etc.
    This would be in an otherwise stock 715 w/ 350 and adapter.
    Thanks!

My truck came with a pre-destroyed firewall and I still could not fit a HEI distributer. I ended up running a MSD distributer that is the same size as points syle, works great.

hold the boat. It all depends on where the motor mounts are. I don't think Tom had much trouble??? but then again he made custom but easy mounts. Saw a guy w/a 454 wedged under an 82 Cherokee, w/all the smog , and there was clearance...

so I guess that's a qualified maybe???
    **I heart Bump_r **

On a SMALL BLOCK at least it will fit if you use the stock horns, and have motor mounts that are centered. I have about 3" behind my HEI to the stock firewall.

My motor mounts are basically a 3/8" plate with 3 bolt holes to the motor and 1 bolt that goes through a deuce and a half motor mount doughnut into the slot on the frame horns. So, basically the motor is sitting with the 3 bolt hols of the block centered over the oval cut-out of the frame horn and about 3" up off of it.

-B.

Default Do you really need a Governor?

b. is your motor stock? really? just kiddin.
    is the stock trans used and in stock location? did you use the novak adapter kit? answer these questions and this should answer our dist questions. I need to know too as Im puttin mine together too and i was also wondering this.
    B.: where can I find stock horns? Will a texas longhorn work or should I use a sheeps? LOL
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715

With the adapter kit you may need to run a points style distributor, but throw in a pertronix electronic conversion kit. Electronic non point ignition and small diameter.
    Big Blocks RULE!

DAVE:
    I'm hoping that everything aft of the adapter will stay stock and untouched. Everything forward is negotiable.

The best bet is to move the mounts a few inches closer to the radiator. there is plenty of room in front of the engine. I am running the Novak mounts and there is no room for a HEI. The only reason my valve covers fit is because the previous owner clearanced the firewall with a BFH. My bellhousing bolts are not reachable by human hands. Mike

Smartybritches: the old m725 is gettin a 350, hp clutch kit, both 12 and 24 volt alt., totally separate systems. the 24 volt system will run all stock componants, guages, lights, gas heater,ect and a 12 volt alt will run engine, stereo, tv, dvd player, ect. The rest of the truck will be stock except for it havin 38.5 boggers on it.
    If I ever get B's truck Im going to build a monster truck out of it and work with Bob Chandler and get the latest frame and suspension setup
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715

I wish I had time to do a lot more, like interior refinements, etc., but I'm moving from Baltimore to Colorado this summer and the Jeep needs to be ready to roll by the Fourth. Later on I plan to do some more tinkerin. I'm curious how the 24/12 system(s) turn out. I'm looking to switch to all 12v, but since time is of the essence, this might actually turn out to be quicker, especially if I just added in all the 12v stuff on top of what's there... HMMMMMMMMM