Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: fisherman : Xl spare tire mounting with pictures

Default fisherman : Xl spare tire mounting with pictures

Xl spare tire mounting with pictures
    Post by fisherman on Aug 7, 2006, 6:46pm

There was a member awhile back who posted pictures or should I say a picture of an XL 11x16 mounted under the bed in the factory location. Does anyone know who did this? I want to know what they did. I am convinced I can make one fit. Just don't know if I need to move the round tube crossmember just yet. Can't move it too far or rear axle could come in contact? Haven't measured yet. I am at the place where the last couple frame modifications need to be finished before I can paint the frame. Any advice helpful. Fisherman

Default snuffy :

Re: XL 11x16 Spare Tire Mounting
    Post by snuffy on Aug 11, 2006, 6:01pm

Fisherman,

If I recall correctly, the round cross member is the hang up. The space is around 4 inches shorter (depth - front to back) than it is wide (side to side). Something like 36" deep and 40" wide. I think you had XLs - so you will need... call it 39 inches (incase you step up to XZLs).

I think you could move it froward, but the clearance does look tight. If you had the resources in the area - a bent box beam might work well. You would need around 1"-1.5" bend around the diff for full on bottoming out. I would weld braces to the frame from whatever you choose to do if it is moved forward. (I'm bad about overdoing stuff, just increasing the margin of error.)

Also, the exaust could be a problem. Mine's not stock, but it looks like it would be tight.

Post pics if you decide to do this!!! I'm interested in doing the same. Hope whoever did this will post up!

Snuffy

PS - What kind of mounting??? Cable hoist would be sweet.

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Aug 11, 2006, 7:49pm

I've measured and measured. This is what I found. If your willing to live withouth the pintle hitch, and the pintle hitch nut, that will gain you around 11/2 inches. Then you move the round crossmember forward. I would torche out the rivets and remove it completely. Then go with a piece of 3" by 2" rectangle by 1/4 inch thickness and weld in with reinforcements in the corners. This would clear the upward travel of the rear differential, assuming you kept the bumpstops. I could then do the cable hoist idea. But if you max out your load carrying capacity you only have about 4" between the bottom of the Xl mounted until your differential cover would come in contact with it. Maybe more if you snug the tire up tight to the bottom of the bed. I have not yet decided if I am willing to live with this. I think the work involved for the maybe I will get isn't worth it. I think my spare will live lying down in my bed. I will need to move it around or remove it when necessary. I'll keep everyone posted if I decide to do this modification. And yes I would love the person to post up that supposedly did this. Fisherman

Default luckypabst :

Post by luckypabst on Aug 11, 2006, 7:54pm

Todd, are you going to run on-board air or some other type of compressor? You could just deflate the tire and mash it up in there.

Chris

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Aug 11, 2006, 7:59pm

Jtrucks only have the forward crossmember. They dont' seem to be twisting apart, either......

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Aug 11, 2006, 8:30pm

Yes, eventually it will have on board air and maybe a welder. I am going back outside, if I'm gonna do this I need to do it now. I need to finish what ever mods I'm gonna do back there because I need to finish my painting asap. And roll it back into the shop. I'll figure this out. Be back.

Default over2land :

Post by over2land on Aug 11, 2006, 11:52pm

What are the actual size of those tires?

I've got my 38/13R16 TSL Swamper up there, by just modding the tire mount a bit.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Aug 12, 2006, 12:13am

I WONDER IF HUMMER TIRES WILL FIT TOO ?????? HUM ???

Default over2land :

Post by over2land on Aug 12, 2006, 12:56am

Quote:
    I WONDER IF HUMMER TIRES WILL FIT TOO ?????? HUM ???

Where do you get these hummer tires from?!?!?!?

Default snuffy :

Post by snuffy on Aug 12, 2006, 9:28am

Off the top of my head - could you shorten stops (attached to the bed) a little to get the tire to have more clearance?

Also, what about the 4 bolt pintle hitch mount instead of the 'uni bolt'? Might free up a little room.