Thread: porkchop : 24v to civi starter

Default porkchop : 24v to civi starter

24v to civi starter
    Post by porkchop on Sept 1, 2006, 2:25pm

Ok all you out there that know a thing or two tell me how to hook up the civi starter with my 24v system and the foot switch. I hate electrical trash. Thanks.

Default brute4c :

Re: 24v to civi starter
    Post by brute4c on Sept 1, 2006, 3:09pm

One side of the foot switch has the power FROM the battery...the other side has the wire TO the starter and the wire FROM the alternator to charge the batteries.

You are using a GM starter...I am unsure what else it may need...solenoid, etc.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Sept 1, 2006, 3:09pm

I can think of two ways.

1.) Run the big + battery cable to the big bolt on the starter solenoid. Hook all the other power lines that are on your floor switch now to the same big bolt on the solenoid. (The floor switch should have nothing on it now.) Run a 12 gauge wire from the big solenoid bolt to one side of the floor switch. run another 12 gauge wire from the other side of the floor switch back to the little post on the solenoid. (The little one next to the big one closest to the engine.) (If you look at the starter from the front of the truck it will be the one on the right. I think you need a 5/16" wrench to tighten it.)

2.)The stock set up had the big + battery cable going to the floor switch. Then another big one mounted on the other side of the switch going to the starter. Leave it that way. Just run a 12 gauge wire from the big post on the solenoid to the small post described above.

3.) Take the big wire from the floor switch to the starter and put it on the other side of the floor switch. This will give you constant voltage to the big bolt on the solenoid. Run a 12 gauge wire from the otherwise empty other side of the floor switch to the small post on the solenoid.

I know, I said only 2. I thought of number 2 while typing number 1. I recommend option 3. Because your floor switch is not going to be carrying the entire load every time you hit it. It will just carry enough to turn on the starter. Theoretically, that should make all the parts last longer and give you less trouble. It also lets all the other wires on the truck stay in the same locations. Simple.

Call me if you want me to walk you through it.

Default porkchop :

Post by porkchop on Sept 1, 2006, 5:11pm

I will be calling you when the time comes. I still have to get some 12 gauge wire and make my battery box. I was just trying to get a jump on things. Thanks gents.