Thread: tilt steering???

hey fellas,
    for those who have swaped over to a tilt steering wheel. how did you make it happen? i have a column from a 79 wagoneer but the thing is much thicker than the original. what will i need to cut or what type of brackets will i have to make replace the ones i will cut or modify? any and all comments welcomed? plus pics if you have any. one of my last modifications to get the tutle off its back and one all fours =8-0....

Are you 12 volt.
    You planning to use the horn, ignition switch or harness plug.

yes, i have a 12volt conversion and yes i will use the horn/harness plug. my ingnition switch does not
    work on the 79 wagoneer column so i will use the one i have mounted ot the dash.

To get the right distance from the dash to steering wheel, I had to cut into the aluminum housing. Getting the right angle and trying to match the step at the bottom of the dash was probaly the worst. If you need to, be sure its in "park".

The dash pannel cleared the column tube dia., but the brake pedal bracket needed to be spread just a little and notched for the ignition switch rod. If your using the big square plug on the ignition switch that plugs into the the wiring harness, you may need to cut a hole to get to it through the "U" shaped brake pedal bracket.

Made a new bracket for the bottom of the dash out of flat stock, and a piece of angle iron.

Reused the original 715 floor mount.

Disclaimer: As far as a little cutting into the brake pedal bracket, it still seems plenty strong and uneffected. There also may be some differences because I used a G.M. column, but I think I covered about everything. If not.... ask away, and give me a day or two.

Another option is the early narrow shaft wagoneer tilt. They are pretty rare and kind of hard to find. Usually found in the 1414X models. The shifter was on the console so the column is clean looking. A potential issue with this column is the turn signal switch. They have been discontinued. It is an A frame mounted to the bottom of the column and takes a triangular plug to hook up. Just another option, but it might be easier to find a later column.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

thanks fellas. i'll get to cuttn......