Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rumplecat : Miller 135 Mig Welder?

Default rumplecat : Miller 135 Mig Welder?

Miller 135 Mig Welder?
    Post by rumplecat on Jun 3, 2006, 6:43am

Father's day is coming I am getting a Mig welder, anyone had any problems with the Miller 135? Just looking at it, it is light, runs off 110, looks like it would be great for MV body work and around the house type welding. Any input is appreciated.
    James G.

Default barrman :

Re: Miller 135 Mig Welder?
    Post by barrman on Jun 3, 2006, 9:48am

Don't get sucked into the "flux cored is just as good as Argon" sales pitch. By the tank and solid wire. Flux cored splatters real bad and doesn't weld near as good as the Argon 75 mix. I think that unit comes with rollers for at least 2 different sizes of wire too. Buy a spool of each size while you are spending money. You never know when you will need to weld a soda can together and then 5 minutes later, reweld your rear spring perch back on.

Default rumplecat :

Post by rumplecat on Jun 3, 2006, 12:50pm

I think gas is the only way to go, there are several places on the web that sell $150 cheaper than the local shops and shipping is free, the 40 cubic foot tanks go for about $115. Now to order!
    James G.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Jun 3, 2006, 2:05pm

Shipping! I found out during my search for a welder 2 years ago that Miller ships its welders to the vendors or final destination for free. So, a local welding shop isn't paying for shipping on the unit. I found an internet deal for a Millermatic 210, printed the page and took it to my local shop. I asked them if they could beat it or match it. They did once they got rid of their shipping and handling charges. Try it, you won't have to wait for the brown truck either.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Jun 3, 2006, 3:42pm

that size welder is for sheet metal also with a short duty cycle like 25minutes out of an hour if you plan on doing 3/16 and thicker i,d get the 250 amp machine from miller. that way you can do it all and not over heat that small machine. but you know what your useing it for better than me. i,ll gaurantee you you,ll want to weld thicker materials though. also if you,d get pure argon you can weld mild steel , stainless, and even aluminum with your wire welder ! dont do the flux core route ! 75% argon 25 % co2 is for carbon steel only. dont limit yourself as much as possible. a miller machine will last you a lifetime if you take care of it. trying to weld thicker material will cook the inside of the machine. i,ve had my miller vintage ( 250 amp ) for years with no problems and do up to 1/2" with it. also a tip when you buy your machine its your best time to buy comsumeables ( cups, tips wire feed rollers in different sizes-.023, .035, .045.) get a supply of these in with the deal or you,ll pay retail when you need them. also look aroung your local trade papers and pickup a good used tank with a bill of sale, you,ll save alot of money and that will buy your consumeables. you can get a oxygen, argon, co2 , etc bottle and they can change the valve & lable to make it the tank of your choice. cant do it with accetalyne though its all by its self. just trying to help. been doin this for 35 years.
    bob

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Jun 3, 2006, 3:49pm

oh yea a 220 volt machine will draw far less power than a 110 volt machine for cheaper power bills. all it takes is a change of the breaker in your distribution box, run 3- # 8 or 10 wires, recepticle box, recepticle and cover and your in business. also a note few know, if you have a copper ground rod in the ground with a ground cable that you can ground your work or table to along with the ground leed it will tremendously give your machine a break and keep the shock hazard down for you. a old man taught me that. nothing like being sweaty and get a good shock to make your day. also get a auto darkenning hood thrown in on the deal and a good set of gloves also a welders jacket to keep the burns to a minumum. also keep all welds clean. bob
    bob

Default fredrader :

Post by fredrader on Jun 3, 2006, 4:55pm

If you have 220v access I would go with the 175 instead of the 135..I just bought a NIB Lincoln Pro Mig 175 for $495 shipped off ebay and I love it..I have a 230amp Airco stick welder if I need a hotter burn but the Mig will do anything you will need..

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Jun 3, 2006, 7:57pm

I agree with what the others have said. I have an older unit 160amp 220 volt. Burns larger stuff great. I usually keep it loaded with .035 or .030. When you learn your machine you can turn it down to run smaller beads or weld sheet metal with the larger wire. I also have a smaller 110 machine I keep it loaded with .023 for most smaller thin guage and light weight welding. If I had to have one machine I'd go with a 220 v unit to start. On the smaller 110 unit though you can change the polarity and run dual shield wire without gas. I take this welder with me into the field sometimes and run it off of a portable generator. My smaller machine is a lincoln 135 . I love welding and sticking metal together. Good Luck Fisherman

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on Jun 4, 2006, 1:55am

I agree with others... If you have 220, get the next one up the line, you'll be able to reasonably do just about anything you need for your truck with it, whereas the 135 would REALLY be pushing it.

Here's a little article I put together for folks asking this very question:
    http://www.southernjeeps.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5

Other things to keep in mind:
    1) Hobart and Miller are the same company. In the hobbiest line, the hobarts are much cheaper and VERY nice as well. I have a HH180 that I use as a portable machine when I don't want to drag out the 251...

2) Hobart has a very active message board with a lot of very talented people. Check out http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard

Default sermis :

Re: Miller 135 MIG Welder?
    Post by sermis on Jun 4, 2006, 12:11pm

Check with your local pawn shops. Argue with them on the price, they will come down. I just bought 2 Lincoln 140 pro MIG welders. Gave $225 and $250 out the door. Both were new in the box. One for me and one for my neighbor. Mine still had the credit card receipt where the guy bought it at Lowe's and took it to the Pawn Shop the same day. neither had been assembled.