Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detroit 6-71T engine

Default Detroit 6-71T engine

I can have a crane running engine V6 6-71T.... about 400hp and 850 pounds of torque ... complete ... supercharged and turbo ... Does anyone already know about this engine ... this can be a great engine !!
    Rockwells / Cummins / 3053A
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

Jester Guest

The only thing I found online about it is that its called a 6V71T. Its a 2 cycle diesel so it needs the blower for air.

Looks like its popular in marine applications.

Would love to see an alternative to the Cummins 4BT or the GM6.2

Keep us informed of the progress.

i wanted to put one of those in my 715, but they weight ALOT! and i never found one, so i settled with a 6.2.. but yea i would like to have a 6v71. love the way they sound
    my signature is sweet huh?

Don't mistake the turbo vs supercharger issue. There were very few that had both of them (this was something they did on old airplanes, but not often on this kind of motor).
    They used to call the turbo a Supercharger/turbocharger.

Size and weight. These are not small V6 motors!
    6 cylinders, each having 71 cubic inches. 426 cubes overall.
    I have a 6-71 with the blower setup in my old bulldozer. Ran great, good mid to high rpm power, but NO low end grunt.
    These motors are really good for constant rpm applications like boats, stationary power, etc.
    Two stroke diesels are, um, LOUD!!!

1200 to 1400 lbs. I think that is enough said on the weight.

i'm sure it's a supercharged with a turbo ... my friend work for a crane cie and he have 3 in stock ... all are running .. 2 with only supercharged and another with bot sc and turbo. But weight is not a friend in this case.
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

I have driven them and worked on them in skidders. Very loud and big. Don't know how well they would fit in the engine bay. I have seen some trucks with the four cylinder detroits that work pretty good. Have good hearing protection if you do use one. They call them a screaming jimmy for good reason.

I would check to see if it will fit and if it does I would do it in a heartbeat!! I think it is a great project. I would do it it if I had access to the motor.

Of course the rest of the drivetrain will need to be upgraded.

Kevin

Just spoke with my friend ... it's trully Detroit 6V71T ... got 3 in stock .... they are giving me those motors for free ... just have to get them by friday of this week ... but they weighted almost 1500 pounds .... They are all 3 running but since they rebuilt the entire crane , his boss not taking chances and have the motor replace just in case .
    And the only part his boss keeping is the flywheel ... so 3 engines without flywheels. I think it will just cost too much having this kind of motor.

I'll keep my Dodge ram powertain ..... simpler and more cost effective.
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze12volts View Post

I'll keep my Dodge ram powertain ..... simpler and more cost effective.
    Not to mention the cost of parts will be resonable and you can get the parts virtually anywhere. I'd hate to see the price tag for just a Detroit flywheel...
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I put a lot of miles on a 6V71T pulling a milk tank for a friend of mine, . . They are getting harder and harder to find because of smog restrictions. They are a 2-stroke, and most of the ones in OTR rigs actually have both the blower and the turbo. The 71 series was available without the turbo, the next engine in the series is the 92 and it's upgrade "silver 92". The silvers all had both supercharger and turbocharger, and could really pull. The HEMTT uses a 8V92 silver. Because of the design, that HAVE to have the blower, but the turbo was optional on the 71, although really almost needed to get decent power. This engine is VERY heavy, great for endurance, but too much for a 5/4. I have seen a 6V53 stuffed in a pickup, . . there wasn't any room left!!. . . I don't think it would be a good choice for a M715