Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Axles that can be swapped in place of the stock axles

Measured the perch width today, it is 44" center pin to center pin. Tug springs are outboarded but the frame is a modified Wagoneer frame so perches would need to be moved for a M715.

Default Anothe one

I was at a chevy junk yard in denver yesterday and I brought a tape measure with me. The 1999 AND NEWER 3/4 ton HD and 1 ton rear axles (14 bolt) leave 5 inches of clearence out side of the springs to the brakes. They all have 2 piston disk brakes and parking brakes. I was going to use a normal 14 bolt axle but it is not wide enough unless you swap the drums to disk. Now I am on the hunt for a 1999 or newer axle for the 725 at a reasonable price.
    Last edited by KYSAR725; March 29th, 2010 at 04:10 PM.

I am getting ready to start working on my '68 M715. I have been collecting parts and I have a pair of Dana 60's out of an '89 Dodge W-350. The narrowest point between the drum brakes on the D60HD in the rear is 55-5/8". My truck is still in storage so I can't measure it and I am curious if this axle is wide enough to use to stock spring location. The parking brake cable is forward and below the axle centerline and the brake lines have enough room to wrap downward.

chevy one ton dually dana 70 rearend is 1/2" wider wms to wms. close enough for me, and it is one bad mtf.
    M715,s..are a mans jeep...

I stole the axles out of an 84 k30 single wheel and it fits fine, just a little tight on the outer ubolt. Instead of going through all the work to do a shackle flip in the rear I slipped a set of blocks from a later model 2500 dodge under it and the top of tire to fenderwell clearance is exactly the same as the front (springover). I am happy to say the 5.9 cummins 5 speed xmls and 4.10,s are a perfect combo for the road and highway use and got around 15 mpg driving around 250 miles this weekend.

Did you move the front springs under the frame to match the Chevy spring width?

No. I spread the perches out.

Default 1982 Van rear the right One?

I have a 1982 GM Beauville that is a one ton what rear is this? 14 bolt? it is in the weeds so I haven't crawled under it yet.......the glovebox says 4.10 rear could it also be limited slip? If this will bolt in I am in luck cause the ford Dana 60 I have is also 4.10

Default Traded axles out of an old project for Dana 70's from a W300 field operating room

I did, I probably sholdnt have but I did. Got a call from a kid needing and Dana 60 with a Detroit and Dana 44 front with limited slip and 3.73s. Said he heard that I had a set. I said yep who ya been talking too? lol We have a mutual friend ( yes I do have some friends lol ) who told him of my old M715 frame I had under a J 4000. He wanted these for his J 2000 cab with a 6.2 diesel and M37 bed he up on a Grand Wagoneer frame.

He traded me from and Rear Dana 70's out of a W 300 field hopital operanint room. 1/12" 35 spline, input torque rated at 8000 lbs!! Even I would have a hard time breaking these axles ( famous last words ).

To make it move Im goint to 350/465/NP205 with a Hydraboots I bought out of a 87 Cheby one tom. 5 gal can in the cab so I can get it to move to work one the beast. Pushed the 5900 lbs into a space and that is all I ever want to push it again. Eventually Ill drop in the 2nd gen 6BT Cummins married up to a FSO 6406a or 8406a and divorce a SCS gear transfer case.

In the mean time I was wondering if I want move the spring perches and fog on or 4 line both axels?

Ideas and suggestions welcome!! Ill try to add pics but have to unfubar the back of the computer where the 14 month old got ahold of the wires!! OR email me and I can send them directly to you. ( depending on how the unfubar project goes )

Dave

I pulled the 14 bolt axle from the 1 ton GM van today it has the same perch width as the M715 but after I cut it out I noticed it does not have the full floating axles.......what rear is this? It is a 14 bolt and the van is a 1 ton single rear wheel has matching 4.10 ratio to go with the Ford front 60 I have, thought I was doing good but not floater can it be converted to floater?