Thread: fastfrankie : 350 Chevies

Default fastfrankie : 350 Chevies

350 Chevies
    Post by fastfrankie on Nov 22, 2006, 2:14pm

Three questions:

1. Are all Chevy 350's drilled for a pilot bushing/bearing so when you convert a M715 to 350 Chevy/T98 it won't be a problem. I want to find a 350 running in a passenger car from the late 70's early 80's like a Caprice or Impala etc. but they all had automatics behind those 350's. Caprices and Impalas are plentiful here and cheap and many can be found with low miles, since older people had them and kept them in good shape/maintenance.

2. Do you reuse the t-98 flywheel/clutch/throwout bearing/starter when you do this conversion or?

3. Bob Cowan, how much is your kit these days?

Default barrman :

Re: 350 Chevies
    Post by barrman on Nov 22, 2006, 3:34pm

The crank shaft will have a machined area in the back that you get to pound the proper pilot bearing into. Pre-1967 was one size and I know 1967-1986 was another. I am not sure about the last 15 years or so though. You need to find out what size the transmission input shaft is and what size the hole in the back of the crank is. With those two numbers, most auto parts stores will be able to get you fixed up for less than $5.00.

The flywheel needs to be for the engine. Then just get a clutch that is the same size with the right number of splines for the input shaft.

Default sermis :

Post by sermis on Nov 22, 2006, 4:14pm

I went with a 350 and used Advanced Adapters kit, did not know about Bob's kit at the time. I think Bob's kit is more complete if you are going to reuse the T98. For the money you will spend on the adapter kit, change the trans to an OD manual or standard and you will be far ahead. Find me a NV4500 for a chev and I will pull mind and send you the kit.

Default fastfrankie :

Post by fastfrankie on Nov 22, 2006, 5:59pm

My question: Were all 350 Chevy cranks drilled for pilot bushings/bearings from the factory?? I am a Mopar guy and I am not sure about the Chevy cranks...if they are, that would make my search much easier because I'd venture to say that most 350s were in front of turbo 350/400's etc., especially in big old Caprices and Impalas and Malibus of the 70's and early 1980's.

Sermis....I have a friend who runs a salvage yard here in NJ and I can ask him about that NV4500....he can get most anything and they do ship all over. I would be thrilled to get your kit! LOL He will be back from vacation in about a week if you'd like me to ask. Why cant you find one? I have no idea as to what it even is other than it being a tranny....remember I am a Mopar guy, so if it isnt a 833, NP435, 727, 904, it is foreign to me! LOL

Default squatch :

Post by squatch on Nov 22, 2006, 7:32pm

fast I'm a mopar guy too. But my buddy who is a chevy head, but has a lot of experience with both tells me chevys are all the same crank auto or manual. there are year differences but flex plate or flywheel makes no diff. except 400'sb are external balance. not like our B's. just asked the same question of him before I bought a 327 for my ol' ladys 68 camaro.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Nov 22, 2006, 10:06pm

fastfrankie, email sent with all details.
    bob